Update on Locations of TWO Feeders, DEC 4

Update on Locations of TWO Feeders, DEC 4

From the Sandia Rosy Finch Banding Project Facebook Page

There are now TWO feeders in place.

FEEDER UPDATE!!!!!
Now that we are in December, the Crest House is officially closed. No more hot soup and Frito Pie while you watch Rosy-Finches :-(

The feeder on the deck has been removed and two feeders have replaced it. One of them is on the chain link fence immediately south of the Crest House building and another feeder is on the hill east of Crest House and above lower parking lot. So far the birds have not found the new feeders but we are confident that they will. There are only about 20 or 30 birds at the crest so far this season but more will arrive soon and I'm sure they will find the feeder in no time!

There is some possibility that the feeder will be moved again before the end of the season. If that happens we'll let you know!!!

Re: Update on Locations of TWO Feeders, DEC 4

sanchez
Thanks Ken  for the update.   My wife and I plan on arriving on Dec. 17, so hopefully by then the finches will have found the new feeders.

Sincerely,

Isaac Sanchez
Austin, TX

From: "Rosyfinch [via Sandia Crest Birding FORUM]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:50 AM
To: "\"Sanchez" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Update on Locations of TWO Feeders, DEC 4

From the Sandia Rosy Finch Banding Project Facebook Page

There are now TWO feeders in place.

FEEDER UPDATE!!!!!
Now that we are in December, the Crest House is officially closed. No more hot soup and Frito Pie while you watch Rosy-Finches :-(

The feeder on the deck has been removed and two feeders have replaced it. One of them is on the chain link fence immediately south of the Crest House building and another feeder is on the hill east of Crest House and above lower parking lot. So far the birds have not found the new feeders but we are confident that they will. There are only about 20 or 30 birds at the crest so far this season but more will arrive soon and I'm sure they will find the feeder in no time!

There is some possibility that the feeder will be moved again before the end of the season. If that happens we'll let you know!!!

http://sandia-crest-birding-forum.3149816.n2.nabble.com/Update-on-Locations-of-TWO-Feeders-DEC-4-tp7572673.html
To start a new topic under Rosy-Finch Observations and Banding Reports CURRENT WINTER 2012-2013, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Sandia Crest Birding FORUM, click here.
NAML

Re: Update on Locations of TWO Feeders, DEC 4

JoJo
Thank you, everyone, for all the updates and info. I am very much excited and looking forward to seeing my first rosy finches in January.

I did have some concerns, though, after reading some recent posts, and I'm really hoping that someone can shed some light on this for me.

I was initially under the impression that I would need to take the Sandia Crest Tram to the top to see the birds - but after reading some recent posts, I think that I might have to drive to the top instead? Can I reach the feeders by taking the tram to the top, or will I have to drive? I worry if I have to drive, because I do not have a 4WD car, nor do I have chains - I will need to take the tram if I am to see the birds.

Any feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated, and thank you!

Re: Update on Locations of TWO Feeders, DEC 4

JoJo,

Many people share the misconception, thinking the feeders are at the top of the tram.

Do not attempt to walk the treacherous 1 1/2 mile trail north from the top of the tram (Sandia Peak) to Sandia Crest (where the feeders are). You would need to be conditioned to the high altitude and properly dressed and equipped for near-zero temperatures, high winds, ice and deep drifts as well as unexpected blinding snow squalls.

You normally can drive to the top without chains. Front-wheel drive cars seem to be better than rear-wheel. All-weather tires are better than "summer" tires, but chains are generally not needed. The road is usually plowed but exercise caution where snow drifts across the roadway, in shady spots and curves. Drive carefully and slowly. Coming down use lower gear rather than brakes, and go slow. Look out for black ice if there has been a thaw the previous day and the water freezes overnight.

Do not try to drive further if moderate to heavy snow is falling at the lower levels, of if you encounter any heavy snow on the way up.

The road is 13 miles up to the Crest, but the part after about 9 miles (above the ski lift base) may not be as clear. Before starting out check the NM Highway Dept web site for road conditions on NM 14 between I-40 to San Antonito and 536 from San Antonito to the Crest. NM Roads Web Site

Driving is 100 times safer than hiking.

Hope this helps

Re: Update on Locations of TWO Feeders, DEC 4

Nancy Cox updated the team members on December 4, 2012:

We are still working on finding a location to store the seed.  We have not heard back from Gene Romero about the possibility of having a construction trailer on site or using the small storage shed on the south side of the building.  We will let you know as soon as we find out something.

When we were up last Sunday, the Rosy-Finches had not found the feeder.  We also placed a feeder along the fence where one had been before.  We saw less than 10 Rosy-Finches but there was a good-sized flock of Pine Siskins.  We are hoping that the slight chance of snow this week-end will help us out with getting numbers down here.

Nancy