RFI: Looking for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows

RFI: Looking for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows

Jeff Anderson sent this request for information. Black Phoebes are particularly easy to find at Rio Grande Nature Center State Park in Albuquerque. I have seen Black-chinned Sparrows a few times in the foothills of the Sandias east of Tramway, particularly at Elena Gallegos Picnic Area. Several years ago I found Black-throated Sparrows nesting in the plateaus above La Bajada. However, if anyone has more current information, please let us know.

I have copied several knowledgable birders and ask that they post any advice to you by replying on this FORUM.

Ken Schneider
= = = = =

Jeff wrote:

Hello,

I am very thankful for your website and the information contained.  I am desperate for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows.  Have you gotten any reports of them being around the east or southern areas this summer?  Also, do you know of a place reliable for Black Phoebe?

I know they may not be on most people's hot list, but I have been wanting these birds for a while now.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: RFI: Looking for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows

Jeff added:

Thank you very much.  I am leaving NM this winter and really wanted to locate these guys in the next couple weeks.  I'm driving down from Espanola, so I would hope to get it done in one day.

Re: RFI: Looking for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows

Nancy Cox
Black-throated Sparrows can also be found at Elena Gallegos Picnic Area and at Embudito Canyon.  Another area that is good for Black-throated Sparrows, farther south, is at Bosque del Apache NWR.  You should see them especially f you take the Canyon Trail.

Nancy Cox

Jeff wrote:

Hello,

I am very thankful for your website and the information contained.  I am desperate for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows.  Have you gotten any reports of them being around the east or southern areas this summer?  Also, do you know of a place reliable for Black Phoebe?

I know they may not be on most people's hot list, but I have been wanting these birds for a while now.

Thanks,
Jeff

This email was sent by sora-3 (via Nabble)
Your replies will appear at http://n2.nabble.com/RFI%3A-Looking-for-Black-chinned-and-Black-throated-Sparrows-tp3360349p3360349.html
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion

Re: RFI: Looking for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows

maryrebeccagracey
Hi Ken, I assume you will send this email to Jeff Anderson about his target birds:
The foothills of the Sandia Mountains (the west side of the Sandia) are places where the Black-throated and Black-chinned Sparrows nest. There are several canyons that offer trails you can take. I would suggest Embudo Canyon. The parking lot is at the far east end of Indian School. The black-throated Sparrows are more numerous than the Black-chinned. It would be helpful to know their songs and go looking for them before 9:00 in the morning. As Ken said, we often see a Black Phoebe at the Rio Grande Nature Center State Park at the far west end of Candelaria. You take the bike path south just as you exit the park on the west to go across a bridge to go to the woods along the river. Instead of going across the bridge, take the asphalt bake path south and there is often a Black Phoebe about 100 yards south along the large ditch that runs parallel to the ditch.
Rebecca Gracey

Jeff wrote:

Hello,

I am very thankful for your website and the information contained.  I am desperate for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows.  Have you gotten any reports of them being around the east or southern areas this summer?  Also, do you know of a place reliable for Black Phoebe?

I know they may not be on most people's hot list, but I have been wanting these birds for a while now.

Thanks,
Jeff

This email was sent by maryrebeccagracey (via Nabble)
Your replies will appear at http://n2.nabble.com/RFI%3A-Looking-for-Black-chinned-and-Black-throated-Sparrows-tp3360349p3360349.html
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion

Re: RFI: Looking for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows

Thanks, Nancy and Rebecca. I have forwarded your replies to Jeff with the suggestion that he log on to automatically receive subsequent posts in this string.

The only Black-chinned Sparrows I ever saw were at Elena Gallegos. It surprised me how they resemble juncos (at least to my eyes). There were usually several Black-throated Sparrows singing during breeding season, and they were not hard to locate. They tended to congregate in a loose "colony" in a dry canyon to the northeast of the wetland patch. That is a good idea, to become familiar with their songs. The breeding season must be drawing to a close, so I hope Jeff gets out pretty soon.

Once folks get the hang of this FORUM, it should pretty well run itself. I started one in Florida to help the local Bald Eagle nest watchers, and the Middle School students, who were conducting a class science project, coordinate their schedules. They began to exchange observations, and by the time the two eaglets had fledged, the eagle forum had hundreds of posts and over 40,000 views!

During past rosy-finch seasons I handled the correspondence and banding/observation reports manually-- it was literally from all over the world. I hope this new method to instantly share information catches on just as well.

Ken

Re: RFI: Looking for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows

Jeff Anderson
You have all been very kind to help me out.  I am going to try for the sparrows on Sunday the 9th!

Also, I got my Black Phoebe in my home town of Espanola of all places!  It was here on the Rio Grande all this time.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: RFI: Looking for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows

Richard Hall
Hi all,
 on Thursday early morning (8/6/09) I birded the Tres Pistolas area, birding the trail from the parking lot for approx. one mile. We found several singing Black-chinned Sparrows, and some birds feeding young. We saw about 10 individuals in total, some at very close range. Aside from this, we had Curve-billed and Crissal Thrashers, Canyon and Spotted Towhees, Bushtits, Juniper Titmice and Bewick's Wren. In the Monticello subdivision we had great looks at Scott's Oriole, Curve-billed Thrasher and Black-headed Grosbeak. Pine Siskins and Lesser Goldfinches were coming to feeders here. Finally, we birded the south end of the South Crest Trail as far as the waterfall. We didn't find any Hepatic Tanagers, but did see two Western Tanagers, plus several Pewees, Juniper Titmice and Plumbeous Vireos. Ken, thanks so much for maintaining the Sandia Crest birding webpage - several of us from the conference enjoyed phenomenal birding, and managed 3 life birds between us. We owe you a beer or two on our next visit!
Cheers
Richard Hall

Re: RFI: Looking for Black-chinned and Black-throated Sparrows

Jeff Anderson
Well I'm going to try hitting the West side of Sandia early Sunday morning.  If anyone would like to join me just send an email to larksparrow@gmail.com

Thanks,
Jeff

Thinking of hitting Elena Gallegos first then Tres Pistolas, and if not too hot might swing by the Rio Grande.