Latest report on Crest House plans (Updated November 29)

Latest report on Crest House plans (Updated November 29)

Dave Weaver provided this report on conditions at Sandia Crest, and also important information about snow removal. My own guess is that the road will continue to be cleared up to the Crest because the radio towers require continuous maintenance and monitoring, but this needs to be confirmed. If the lots are not cleared of snow it would not be advisable to enter them under snowy conditions without a high clearance vehicle and 4WD. The road has generally been navigable when maintained, except during periods of heavy snow and often for 12-24 hours thereafter. Usually, the portion of the road up to the ski lift base is given priority, so the last 4 miles to the top may be plowed later.

Hi Ken,

I went up to the Crest today, where it was 36 degrees (F), sunny, and calm at 10:00AM.  There is very little snow, with less than an inch in the shady spots.  The parking lots are clear. The Crest House staff report flocks of about 20 rosy finches in the past few days.  I have attached a Log Update.

I did confirm that the Crest House will close for the season at the close of business on Friday, November 30th.  Current plans call for the Crest House to reopen on March 1, 2013.  They do not expect the parking lots to be cleared of snow this winter, citing the fact that the Crest House will not be open and that the Forest Service says they do not have funds to clear the lots.

Hope things are better for you and the family!

Dave

Re: Latest report on Crest House plans and Rosy-Finch Sightings log

I received this query just after posting the above note. I should have added that the banding team and the co-coordinators are working together to keep the feeders filled. This can be difficult, as Crest House Staff generously kept watch and filled the feeders if the supply was exhausted. This may happen not only because of heavy demand by birds and squirrels, but seed may also be scattered by high winds.

Further, there is no seed storage area as was available inside the Crest House, so the supply must be carried up each time. This poses scheduling challenges, as some of the researchers and volunteers must make a 35-50+ mile round trip from their homes. Road conditions and gasoline prices are also complicating factors.

So keep tuned to see how the process of filling seed is handled. There could be designated days for filling the feeders, weather permitting. All the more reason to invite birders/photographers/visitors to bring seed when they drive up to see the finches. Please use only hull-less "patio mix" to reduce germination of exotic plants as well as the toxic effects of aflatoxins* from decaying seed hulls on neighboring vegetation.

(I answered j---'s question about lodging privately, but others may feel free to provide suggestions).

Ken

Hello Ken:

     For some time now I have been checking out the forum for continuing info on Rosy-Finch viewing.  I was intending making a two-day trip out to NM from Fort Lauderdale sometime during February, but just noted the Sandia House closing until March 1. I am also aware of the February ABA festival, but Brown-capped and Black Rosy-Finches are really the only two area species I am seeking to photograph, so I'd actually prefer to visit on my own. I have been holding off making the air reservations pending up-to-date information, but I'll need to do that soon.

I hope you don't mind just a few questions:

     1.  Would it be advantageous to wait until after March 1 when the lodge is open again?

     2.  Are the feeders filled regularly enough so as to attract the birds 7 days a week (i.e. is it better to plan to come on a weekend, or are any weekdays just as good)?

     3.  Might you recommend a conveniently-located place to stay?

Many thanks.

J--

= = = =  =

J--, I forwarded you my latest reply to the FORUM [ABOVE], including information that the Crest House parking lots may not be plowed during the period of closure.

We need to determine whether the road up the the crest summit will continue to be plowed, and will post this when/if we find out. You may wish to subscribe for updates as they are posted. If the parking lots are not plowed it will pose an inconvenience as parking may either be prohibited or limited to the side of the road (this is unlikely, as it is a narrow 2 lanes at that point without shoulders).

As to timing of your visit, the numbers of rosy-finches diminish in early March, but you might peruse the sightings logs from past winters  to see how abundance changes during March. I would certainly try for as early in March as possible if it turns out that birders are encountering difficulty in accessing the feeders during the period of closure.

======
* See: Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin

Aflatoxins are naturally occurring mycotoxins that are produced by many species of Aspergillus, a fungus, the most notable ones being Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus...

Aflatoxin-producing members of Aspergillus are common and widespread in nature. They can colonize and contaminate grain before harvest or during storage. Host crops are particularly susceptible to infection by Aspergillus following prolonged exposure to a high-humidity environment, or damage from stressful conditions such as drought, a condition that lowers the barrier to entry...

Aflatoxins can be produced under bird feeders when the weather turns warm. They are toxic to humans and other animals, and also may inhibit growth of seedlings in susceptible plant species.

Re: Latest report on Crest House plans and Rosy-Finch Sightings log

JMLimberty
I too am planning to come out this winter to see the rosy finches, driving from SW Utah. I too was upset to learn of the closing of the Crest House this winter, but was please to learn that great efforts will be made to keep the feeders filled and the banding project going.

My girlfriend and I will be coming out in mid-January to see the birds, so I am pleased to learn that the birds will be viewable, even with the Crest House closed. I will still be keeping an eye on this web-site to make sure that seeing the birds will still be possible, and we both really, REALLY appreciate the efforts made by volunteers to keep the feeders filled and the banding ongoing. Both birders and the finches really appreciate that.

I also plan to buy some seed to donate and bring with me, so I will be in touch regarding this so that I can be sure to get the seed to the right person(s). Thanks again for all you folks do, and keep up the great work!

Re: Latest report on Crest House plans and Rosy-Finch Sightings log

JoJo
I am a birder from Cali and wanted to come out this winter to see the finches as well, probably in January - can anyone tell me the probability of seeing the finches this time of year?

Will the feeders still be maintained by volunteers at that point? The tram is open year-round - will snow be an issue walking from the tram to where the feeders are? What kind of seed would you like for me to bring to donate?

I really hope that I get a chance to see the birds! Thank you for your help and for helping the finches!

Re: Latest report on Crest House plans and Rosy-Finch Sightings log

JoJo, thanks for the query--

From mid-December into late February is prime time for the largest flocks of Rosy-Finches at Sandia Crest. Keep tuned to learn more about the plans to maintain and stock the feeders during the closure of the Crest House. Since the lower parking lot will probably not be plowed, the old location SE of the Crest House presents problems of access by birders and volunteers who would tend it. We fully expect to see one or more feeders installed an alternative location most favorable for viewing, but it requires coordination with and approval of the US Forest Service. The road (and probably some upper parking area) would be kept open to the top for the workers at the transmission tower just to the north of Crest House.

Of course the finches have been present around Sandia Crest in winter for many years, but the feeders do concentrate them and make it easier to see them. All three species including the Hepburn's subspecies are there now.

We do not advise attempting to hike the 1 1/2 miles from the top of the tram (Sandia PEAK) to Sandia CREST (where the feeders are located) during the winter. The trail and weather conditions can be treacherous to someone not acclimated and prepared for bitter cold, high winds, deep snow drifts and ice.

Keep checking here for the latest information.

Also, visit and "LIKE" the Sandia Crest banding team's new Facebook site:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandia-Rosy-Finch-Project/490170997667447?fref=ts

Re: Latest report on Crest House plans and Rosy-Finch Sightings log

Least Akulet
Yes, we will be at the crest doing banding in January. The Tram is not in the same location as the Crest area we band is. The hike from the tram to the crest would be long and require snow shoes, The temperture would be very cold. The walk would take a little longer than you are expecting because of the altitude, it would slow you down quite a bit. I would strongly suggest you plan to drive up the crest road and not take the tram.
We only use sunflower without shells. You can bring seed or donate the cost of seed at the crest directly to us and it will offset the cost of seed from our local donating store, Wild Bird - Wags & Whiskers. See you in January!

LEE HOPWOOD
High Desert Birding Adventures, LLC
[hidden email]
Wild Bird - Wags & Whiskers
10700 Corrales Rd NW
Albuquerque, NM 87114
505-898-0215
fax: 505-898-2647
wagsandwhiskersstore.com
I am a birder from Cali and wanted to come out this winter to see the finches as well, probably in January - can anyone tell me the probability of seeing the finches this time of year?

Will the feeders still be maintained by volunteers at that point? The tram is open year-round - will snow be an issue walking from the tram to where the feeders are? What kind of seed would you like for me to bring to donate?

I really hope that I get a chance to see the birds! Thank you for your help and for helping the finches!

http://sandia-crest-birding-forum.3149816.n2.nabble.com/Latest-report-on-Crest-House-plans-and-Rosy-Finch-Sightings-log-tp7572655p7572661.html
To start a new topic under Rosy-Finch Observations and Banding Reports CURRENT WINTER 2012-2013, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Sandia Crest Birding FORUM, click here.
NAML

RE: Latest report on Crest House plans and Rosy-Finch Sightings log

TomT
We will be travelling through new Mexico in the next 2 days, on Fri and Sat. We would like to try for the finches on Sat., Dec 1. What can we expect for weather at the Crest House and what is the best time to start seeing the finches? Will there be any one there experienced with the area to help newbies at this location. Thanks for any help.
Tom Thomsen

NAML

RE: Latest report on Crest House plans and Rosy-Finch Sightings log

JMLimberty
Thank you for the info, Lee (and JoJo, for asking the questions), because I was not aware that I would need to drive up the crest to see the birds. I assumed that the tram took me to the top of the crest and the Crest House and banding area(s) would be within a short walking distance from there.

I drive a tiny 2-wd Hyundai Accent - is the road up to the top of the crest usually kept plowed/maintained well enough for all vehicles to get up to where the finches are located? How about the feeders? If I decide to go up to the feeders on my own, are they easy to find? I assumed that they would be kept near the Crest House (and perhaps they still are), which is why I wanted to take the tram to the top. Are the feeders and the banding areas in different locations?

I do feel badly for bombarding this thread with questions, but I just want to make sure that I have the best chance possible to see the finches and have all the info before me ahead of time if I am going to drive all the way down there just to see the birds. Thanks, again, to any and all who provide feedback - it is really appreciated!

RE: Latest report on Crest House plans and Rosy-Finch Sightings log

Tom, to my knowledge the feeder on the Crest House deck will be removed tomorrow (Friday November 30) and permanent feeders will not be installed until the locations are approved by the Forest Service. I am awaiting confirmation of tentative information that banding will be conductied on Sunday morning, December 2.

Therefore the situation on Saturday is in limbo. Since all three species have been feeding there up until today, we should expect to see some in the vicinity on Saturday, but this is by no means certain. Therefore look for them at the 10K and Ellis Trail heads if they are not present in the general area of the Crest House and Kiwanis Meadow.

I will post any updated information on the FORUM as soon as it is received.

Sorry about the uncertain state of affairs.

RE: Latest report on Crest House plans and Rosy-Finch Sightings log

JM, see my above reply. By the time you get out here the situation should have settled down and we will know the status and location of the feeders (and banders) -- they will be near the Crest House.

Check road conditions before venturing up. http://nmroads.com/

See pull-down menus at rosyfinch.com main page for more travel information. We expect the road to be plowed to the top, but there may be delays in clearing the snow after a major snowfall, and drive carefully if there is ice. Look out for the other drivers coming the other way. Generally you do not need chains-- if you think you do, don't drive up!