American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

NewMexiKen
The following post by Gale Owings on the AZ/NM RBA documents the continuing presence of three-toed woodpeckers at Sandia Crest.  Earlier reports and  information about the sudden reappearance of this species in 2005, after an absence of 9 years, may be found at this link

Date:    Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:17:16 -0700
From:    Gale Owings
Subject: NM:   Sandia Crest Three-toed Woodpeckers

The subject birds, a male and female, were observed at around 9 AM today
about midway down the road/trail that goes to Kiwanis Meadow from the south
end of the paved exit drive below the lower restrooms at Sandia Crest.
They were seen well by most and photographed by two of this morning's
CNMAS Thursday Birders as the woodpeckers foraged very quietly not much
above eye level in trees downslope from the trail in an area where I saw a
female of the species more than once last summer.  The location is marked
by a light-colored, flat-topped boulder on the upslope side of the trail--
which this year has the cut end of a felled tree resting on part of it.

I was the leader for today's advertised quest to see a Three-toed in the
Sandias because of past success in finding them there, but I was not
optimistic about our chances after extensive scouting and stakeouts on
Tuesday and yesterday of previously productive spots (including where we
got the pair) did not result in any sightings.  All participants agreed
that lucky timing, together with the sharp eyes of one of the group, was
key to our good outcome; and I wish you that if you try to refind these
birds.

Gale Owings
Albuquerque

Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com

Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

Richard Hall
I'm an out-of-state birder visiting Albuquerque for the Ecological Society of America conference next week. I will have next Sunday (Aug 2nd) free for birding and was planning to take the Tramway to bird the Sandia Crest. In particular I would like to try for Three-toed Woodpeckers - is it possible to get to the area  where the birds were recently sighted from the Tramway stop?
Thanks in advance for any advice on finding these birds, or any other interesting birds to look out for in this area.
Richard Hall
Athens GA (British expat)

Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

Hi, Richard,

The American Three-toed Woodpeckers have been sighted in the vicinity of Kiwanis Medow, which is a few hundred yards to the south of Sandia Crest. I must emphasize "CREST," as the tram goes up to Sandia PEAK, the ski area, which is about a mile south of Sandia CREST. A fairly easy hiking trail does run between the Peak and the Crest, but if you decide to wak the distance, dress properly and bring water. Since the Crest Trail is 10,000 feet in elevation, some people may experience symptoms of oxygen deprivation, even if they are in good condition at or near sea level. It is best to habituate to the altitude. See this link for more information about avoiding altitude sickness.

The best way to visit Sandia Crest is by way of NM 536, which climbs up the eastern slope of the mountain, accessed by way of I-40 eastbound and NM-14-- specific driving directions are also at the above link. Also, more specific information about recent locations of three-toe sightings is updated at this link.

Best of luck, and do let us know about the birds you see on your visit.

Ken

--
Ken and Mary Lou Schneider
Miramar, Florida and North Aurora, Illinois

Rosy Finch Web Site: <http://www.rosyfinch.com>
Ken's Blog: <http://blog.rosyfinch.com>
Ken's Photos: <http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch>

Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

Judith Liddell, who authors the delightful Albuquerque-area birding Blog "Wing and Song," sent me this note just after I replied to Richard Hall, above. I would require Bonnie's permission to post her excellent photos here, but I do not have her e-mail address to send her such a request. Judy's blog post, as usual, makes me miss my former home in the East Mountains, only a couple of miles from the Crest Road!

Hi Ken,
I thought you would be interested in seeing Bonnie Long's photos of the
Three-toed Woodpecker.

Here is the link to my blog posting of Gale's trip:
http://wingandsong.wordpress.com/2009/07/20/quest-for-the-three-toed-woodpec
ker/
.  The photo in this one is not near as good as Bonnie's.

Also, I was at the Capulin Log about a week ago.  Can't remember whether I
e-mailed you about it or not.  I was there in mid-day when there were no
birds and I could see down inside.  It is definitely leaking. I don't think
that anything will be done as long as their energies - and probably funding
- is going to clear away the beetle-damaged trees that are a hazard.

Cheers,
Judy

Thanks, Judy! Readers will also find your Blog on the Bird Log at Capulin Spring to be interesting.

Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

Richard Hall
Hi Ken,
many thanks for the reply. I will let you know how I get on.
Richard

Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

From Gale Owings-- more specific directions to three-toe site:

Sent: 7/28/2009 3:06:52 AM
Subject: Re: Three-toed Woodpecker

For anyone who didn't see the Three-toeds on our July 16 trip or would like a longer/better look, I'm passing on the following info. about the location where Bonnie, her friends and I got to watch them for several minutes the other day:

First, the dead tree in which the birds were foraging is quite near where Buried Cable and Switchback Trails converge just northwest of Kiwanis Meadow.  To get there, go a short way downhill on Crest Trail #130 from where it crosses Kiwanis road-trail (within sight of the meadow) to where it veers right toward the Tram.  Go left instead and signs identifying the other two trails will be immediately ahead.

Second, I didn't just happen upon the woodpeckers Friday but found them thanks to a couple of reports from acquaintances who had observed a/the pair in the aforementioned area early last week.  I wanted to see if any were there regularly this year--and apparently some are--before replying to other birders contacting me for additional suggestions on where to look besides the place I posted about after our sighting mid month.

Re: Photos of American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

Bonnie Long gave me permission to post these photos she took of the three-toed woodpecker.

Copyright 2009 Bonnie Long

Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

jliddell
Today Melissa Howard led the Central New Mexico Audubon Thursday Birders along the cross-country ski trail that originates from the south 10 K parking lot.  After reaching the woods, we saw a pair of American Three-toed Woodpeckers working a dead spruce tree.  About a quarter of a mile further on, there was another pair, which were probably different.

Judy Liddell
Albuquerque

Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

That is great news, Judy. About 5 years ago, I noted that the controlled burn and the bark beetle/disease damage was beginning to make the 10K Trail area "ripe" for American Three-toes.

This is a panoramic view of the 10K Trail Head (looking to the north). As I understand it, the area you describe is uphill and to the south, on the opposite side of the Crest Road. The page at the link below the picture provides an enlarged view that scrolls in you browser (Java required).

http://rosyfinch.com/Events.html#SNOW_SCENES

RE: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

jliddell
The area is across the road to the south along the trail you describe that runs alongside the aspens which you suggest as a place to look for Dusky FC (we did see one of those, but further along where the trail almost loops back to the highway.).  The 3-toeds were just past the aspen grove where the trail heads into the woods.  I am presuming tht it is a cross-country trail because of the blue diamons on the trees along the trail - and I couldn't find it on map the first time I walked along there as you suggest in your guide.

Judy

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:12:11 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

That is great news, Judy. About 5 years ago, I noted that the controlled burn and the bark beetle/disease damage was beginning to make the 10K Trail area "ripe" for American Three-toes.

This is a panoramic view of the 10K Trail Head (looking to the north). As I understand it, the area you describe is uphill and to the south, on the opposite side of the Crest Road. The page at the link below the picture provides an enlarged view that scrolls in you browser (Java required).

http://rosyfinch.com/Events.html#SNOW_SCENES

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/American-Three-toed-Woodpeckers-at-Sandia-Crest-tp3277515p3359311.html
To unsubscribe from Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest, click here.

RE: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest - one more thing

jliddell
Jim Joseph reported a 3-toed which he said was on Tr# 271 "near the crest."  I can't find that trail on my trail map.  I wonder if it is in the same area.
Judy

To unsubscribe from Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest, click here.

RE: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest - one more thing

The Dusky Flycatchers used to hang out in the small Aspen saplings nearer the road-- I think there had been a burn or a clear-cut there. As the Aspen saplings grow bigger than 10-15 feet it seems that the Duskies look for new stands, at least that was my impression.

Hey, I miss the mountains!!!

No luck with American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

Richard Hall
Hi everyone,

I got a taxi out to the Sandia Crest Tram, birded the parking lot there for 15 mins before getting the tram up to the crest and spending the day there. My main target was the Three-toed, but in spite of intensively searching and re-searching the areas between Kiwanis Meadow and the crest parking lot, I struck out. Nonetheless I saw some wonderful birds (see eBird report below) - the hordes of Broad-tailed Hummingbirds at the Crest House feeders were a blast!  I also really enjoyed the cool temperatures and the stunning scenery the Crest had to offer. One final request - if anyone is heading back up to search for the woodpeckers this week, and had room in their car for a birding buddy, I'd love to hear from you (rjhall@uga.edu).

Best wishes
Richard Hall

Comments: Birded from the Sandia Tram parking lot, then from upper tram stop to Crest House (route 130), spending much time on the trail between Kiwanis Meadow and the lower crest parking lot, then switchback trail to Ellis trailhead, service road back to High Finance restaurant.
Species

Are you submitting a complete checklist of the birds you saw/heard? Yes

5 Gambel's Quail
1 Turkey Vulture
4 White-winged Dove
5 Mourning Dove
3 White-throated Swift
30 Broad-tailed Hummingbird
2 Rufous Hummingbird
5 Hairy Woodpecker
1 Northern Flicker
1 Olive-sided Flycatcher
3 Western Wood-Pewee
3 Cordilleran Flycatcher
1 Ash-throated Flycatcher
1 Warbling Vireo
3 Steller's Jay
1 Western Scrub-Jay
2 raven sp.
20 Mountain Chickadee
8 Red-breasted Nuthatch
6 White-breasted Nuthatch
3 Brown Creeper
12 House Wren
8 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
2 Western Bluebird
4 Hermit Thrush
5 American Robin
20 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)
1 Townsend's Warbler
5 Green-tailed Towhee
1 Rufous-crowned Sparrow
15 Chipping Sparrow
40 Dark-eyed Junco (Gray-headed)
1 Scott's Oriole
10 House Finch
8 Red Crossbill
12 Pine Siskin
3 House Sparrow

American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest

Richard Hall
Hi all,

I returned to the Sandia Crest with some other birders from the conference, and am delighted to say we ran into a female 3-toed Woodpecker about halfway along the Buried Cable Trail (on the crest side). We had earlier missed them at the 10k trailhead. Other birds of note were 4 species of hummingbird at the Crest House feeders (Broad-tailed, Rufous, Calliope and Black-chinned), a Lark Sparrow along the cross-country ski route on the south side of the 10k trailhead, 6 species of warbler at the Capulin Spring (Virginia's, MacGillivray's, Townsend's, Aububon's, B-t Gray and Orange-crowned). Two of our party managed to see a Goshawk scatter the Band-tailed Pigeons at this location.

Thanks to those who provided advice for seeing the 3-toed, and good luck if you go.
Richard HAll

Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest NOV 26, 2010

As reported in the NM RBA, Jim Joseph on  November 26 saw an AMERICAN THREE-TOED WOODPECKER on the trail to the  tram on Sandia Crest.

Re: American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Sandia Crest March 5, 2010

NM RBA reported:

Rick Koehler on March 5 had up to 75 rosy finches  of all three species.

In  hiking along the Sandia Crest for 1/3 mile they found a BROWN  CREEPPER and a THREE-TOED WOODPECKER.