When is the best time to bird the Sandia Mountains?

When is the best time to bird the Sandia Mountains?

Bob Andrini, President of the Kane County Audubon Society (in Illinois, my second home), recently sought (and found) the Blue-footed Booby at Conchas Lake. He now asks about the best time to plan a birding trip to the Sandia Mountains and Central New Mexico. Bob writes:

We are back from NM and really enjoyed the trip -- we did go and get the Blue Footed Booby before we went up to Sandia Mts. We used the info on the birding sites: people up there talked about the 'log site' but you don't mention it, is it new????

The main reason for this message is to pick your mind. I really like that area and wondered about taking a class from the College of DuPage out there. When would be the best time to go there? Summer, Spring, or Winter. I know there are different birds at different times, but if you were to take people, when would you go?

Give it some thought and get back to me.

Thanks, Bob

= = = = =

Hi, Bob--

Glad you got to see the booby. Love to see your trip report, as I am such a wannabe New Mexican. Wish I could take your class! More about "The Log" below.

I guess the timing of your visit is most dependent upon the group's target birds. If they are experienced birders who have explored the southern Rockies and the desert Southwest, they may be most interested in "ticking" the three rosy-finch species, which are at the Crest House feeders from mid-November into March. I usually suggest a January or early February visit to see their best colors and largest flocks. Banding takes place most Sunday mornings, and observing that is a treat in itself.

For the best representation of local resident avifauna, a spring trip is probably best. My Cedar Crest "backyard birding" page describes my own observations at the 7000 foot level, which is about the same as the base of the Crest Highway. It includes a "birding calendar" that gives an idea of what may be seen during various months.At the bottom of the page is my "yard list," of 120 species, which includes my own idea of local seasonal abundance. Just above the list are some arrival dates I have recorded for selected species.

See: <http://rosyfinch.com/birdlist.html>

Peruse the correspondence archives. Though most of the queries and reports concern the rosy-finches, there are some interesting trip reports for visits at other seasons:

<http://rosyfinch.com/correspondence.html>

Keep track of current observations and ask about local hotspots by posting a query on the new Sandia Birding FORUM page:

<http://www.rosyfinch.com/Rosy-FinchFORUM.html>

(Register to receive e-mails of all posts, either singly or in a digest).

For greatest variety of species in varying habitats, I think that mid- to late May is best. The migrants will be mostly in and in full song. Bird all the stops on the way up the Crest Road and try to hit all the other nearby spots mentioned on my "birding the Sandias" pages:

<http://rosyfinch.com/sandia.html>

<http://rosyfinch.com/sandia2.html>

Also, there is good spring birding in the nearby Manzanitas, particularly Otero and Cedro Canyons (Gray Flycatcher).

<http://rosyfinch.com/manzano.html>

Late summer and early fall is probably the least favorable time to visit, although the Rufous and Calliope Hummers are best after July 10th. June into early July is usually the hottest time of the year. The monsoons set in around mid-July, then the birds begin molting and departing. Late March into early April can also be less exciting, as the winter visitors have left and the local breeders have not yet arrived.

The "Bird Log" is described on the "Birding the Sandias" page-- here is a direct link.

<http://rosyfinch.com/sandia.html#THE_LOG_AT_CAPULIN_SPRING>

The drop-down menus on the main rosyfinch.com <http://www.rosyfinch.com/> page mention many specific locations. Try to hit as many as possible. A visit to the Rio Grande Nature Center is mandatory at any time of year, and a day trip down to Bosque del Apache is always productive.

Use the SEARCH feature on the main rosyfinch.com page to find hints as to where to look for certain target birds, such as Scott's Oriole, Black-throated and Rufous-crowned Sparrows, Green-tailed Towhee, Grace's, MacGillivray's, Black-throated Gray and Virginia's Warblers, Williamson's, and Red-naped Sapsuckers, American Three-toed Woodpecker, Hepatic Tanager, Dusky, Gray and Cordilleran Flycatchers, Plumbeous, Warbling and Gray Vireos...

For more ideas about local birding spots, frequent planned trips and reports, visit the Central New Mexico Audubon Society Web pages, starting here:

<http://newmexicoaudubon.org/cnmas/trips.html>

I'm sure you will be following all reports on the Arizona-New Mexico RBA:

<http://listserv.arizona.edu/archives/birdwg05.html>

Good luck! Please let me know when you choose a date, and, of course, report your findings on RBA and the Sandia Crest Birding FORUM <http://www.rosyfinch.com/Rosy-FinchFORUM.html>.

I will copy your request to several other local birders with a request that they post any additional suggestions on the FORUM. <http://www.rosyfinch.com/Rosy-FinchFORUM.html>

Ken

Ken Schneider
Miramar, Florida & North Aurora, Illinois

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)

Re: When is the best time to bird the Sandia Mountains?

Celestyn Brozek wrote (and I must agree that some breeders may not yet be established if your trip is in early May) :

Hello Ken,

You wrote very extensive analysis about the best time to visit.  I will be very brief.  If I were to come to New Mexico just one time and see the most of possible Western breeding species (not migrants!), it would be end of May or beginning of June.  That is when the birds are most active, singing, etc.  I don't know how to post it on the forum, so if you want to do it for me, or forward this e-mail to Mr. Andrini, please, feel free to do so.  Thank you.

My best, Celestyn

I forwarded his note to Bob, as he may not have signed up for this Forum.