Visit on March 12-13

Gary Botello
I plan on coming to Sandia Crest to try to view Rosy Finches on March 12-13. I hope to arrive on March 12 between 11AM-Noon and staying most of the afternoon. Are my chances pretty good for finding the birds? Also, I see Pine Grosbeak is another possibility. Any suggestions on the best places in the area to find one?

THANKS!
Gary Botello (Flagstaff, AZ)

Re: Visit on March 12-13

Hi, Gary--

By mid-March, the number of rosy-finches and the sizes of individual flocks will start to decrease. Some species may depart earlier than others. Since Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches have been scarce this year, I would not be surprised if they become harder to find.

However, flocks have persisted past the middle of March in 7 of the past ten years, and stragglers often continue into early April. All in all, you have a fairly good chance of seeing all three species, and an excellent chance of seeing at least two.

See the charts and links to earlier years' sightings logs on this page.

Re: Visit on March 12-13

Gary Botello
Well I finally made it out to Sandia Crest on March 12, 2010. It was cold, but a sunny beautiful morning. I arrived about 11:30AM and there was a flock of about 50+ mixed Rosy Finches awaiting me! I stayed for about 2 hours snapping photos (the birds remained, on and off, the whole time) and ate lunch. I did manage to see all 3 species. Thanks for all your help in planning my visit. It was definitely worth the drive from Flagstaff to see these beautiful birds!

Gary