Update on Feeder Location, Banding Schedule (Friday, NOV 30)

Update on Feeder Location, Banding Schedule (Friday, NOV 30)

I will start a new thread for each day when there is new information or query about the status of plans to erect feeders and resume the banding operations at Sandia Crest while the Crest House remains closed.

Even if the feeders do not go up, there will be rosy-finches in the area. Look near the Crest House, around the observation area and radio towers, and also to the south around Kiwanis Meadow. They sometimes are seen at the 10K and Ellis trail heads.

Look for them roosting in groups or flying rapidly in wheeling flocks. If there is snow cover they may forage on wind-swept rock outcroppings or even the road and parking lot.

I received this email this morning:

Ken,

I am in New Mexico for a week and was wondering if the feeders have been relocated for the Rosy finches. Any info concerning the latest news on the finches would be appreciated.
regards,

RG
Sarasota Florida

I have checked with the Rio Grande Bird Research banding team and learned that they are still awaiting approval from the Forest Service to place the feeders in a more accessible location on Crest House property. Until permission is received, the feeding program remains "on hold." This means that the banding operations tentatively scheduled for Sunday morning (December 2) are on hold unless the team hears from the Service. Here is their reply:

At this point we aren't sure. The feeders definitely have to be taken down tomorrow, so if we haven't heard back from the forest service by Sunday then we won't be banding. At this point I think it's likely that they won't get back to us by then and that we won't be banding.

RE: Latest report on Crest House plans and Rosy-Finch Sightings log

ervinde

We have had no snow so the roads will be clear all the way to the top.