Update on Feeder Location & Banding, December 2 & 3

Update on Feeder Location & Banding, December 2 & 3

Nancy Cox reported on Sunday, December 2:

We did not band any rosy-finches today.  We saw a few (Blacks and Brown-capped) west of the Crest House but it did not appear that they have discovered the "new" location yet.  We will try again next week.

Nancy

= = = = = = =

Dave Weaver received this query on Monday, December 3:

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM, VCF wrote:

I've heard that the Crest house was to close Dec 1.  Did that happen?  If so, are finches being banded elsewhere on Crest?  If so, where and when?  I have an out of town visitor coming this Saturday, 12/8, who was hoping, even expecting, to be able to observe that.  Any information you can provide would be most appreciated.

VF

Dave replied

Hello,

I was up at the Crest House on Friday, November 30th and the plan to close later that day was still in effect.  So I think the Crest House is closed, but do not have any more recent information.  The plan as I have heard it is for the Crest House to reopen on or about March 1, 2013.

I do know that the feeders that I took up to the Crest on Friday were set up to the east and south of the Crest House later on Friday.  Banding was planned for Sunday, December 2nd, near the site of the feeder on the east side of the Crest House between the Crest House and the parking lot.  I also know that the banders plan to continue banding (on Sundays, I think) through the winter, but I do not know the banding schedule and so cannot say whether they will be banding on Sunday, December 9th, which would be good for you and your guest.

The most current information about both observing the finches and the banding program is being posted on the Sandia Crest Birding Forum at www.rosyfinch.com, so you might check that source often between now and next weekend.  As of a few minutes ago, I did not find further information about the feeders or banding, but that could change at any time.

I do hope you and your guest will be able to see the finches and the banding!

Best wishes,

Dave Weaver