Trip report and link to photo

Ken Schneider
David Cree of Georgia just informed me of his brief Sandia Crest trip report:

On a whim, I decided to show you these birds from Sandia Crest, New Mexico. I took this photo with a $300 point and shoot over 5 years ago through the window of the Visitor's Center at 10,700 feet above sea level!!!!

The black bird with the Gray crown is a Black Rosy Finch---- the 'diving' bird is a Brown-capped Rosy Finch.

Sandia Crest may well be the only place in the WORLD where you can drive on a paved road up to the top of a mountain-----go inside a cozy, warm Visitor's Center and Restaurant---Order your eggs over easy, with hash browns scattered with onions, link sausage, dark wheat toast, sip on your hot steaming coffee----sit and wait------ dine on your breakfast-----

And wait for a flock of 40-60 birds comprised of ALL 3 SPECIES of ROSY FINCHES come and land in the surrounding snow covered trees----then descend en masse upon the seed filled feeders just outside the protective glass!!!!

It is a thrill I cannot describe to see ALL 3 SPECIES at once!!! It is incredible!!!!

P.S. I know the clarity is not the best---but, hey--these are Rosy Finches!!! Not seen by very many people as one has to venture where the air is VERY thin to see one of these!!!!!

David's photo may be viewed here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/friends/