Thursday Birder and CNMAS field trips June through August, 2011

Thursday Birder and CNMAS field trips June through August, 2011

Thursday Birders Summer Schedule

PLEASE ARRIVE 10 MINUTES BEFORE THE MEETING TIME.

This is especially important for out of town trips when the
group will be carpooling. The group will depart very near to the
meeting time. If you know you will be late, call the leader the
night before and fi nd out where the fi rst stop will be.

JUNE 2 - Open land north of Clines Corners and Stanley, NM,
with Rebecca Gracey: 242-3821, maryrebeccagracey@gmail.
com for possible Mountain Plover, Long-billed Curlew, Barn
Owl and Burrowing Owl. Meet at 6:50 a.m for a 7:00 departure
in the Four Hills shopping center on Central, west of Tramway,
near the Carl’s Jr or at 7:50 at the Clines Corners gas station 60
miles east on I-40. Lunch in Moriarty at El Comedor Los Anayas
restaurant. The trip will end in mid afternoon.

JUNE 9 - Jemez Mountain cabin near La Cueva with Lou Feltz:
856-1322, lvfeltz@comcast.net
Many montane species may be seen from the deck and nearby
meadows. Meet at 6:50 a.m. for a 7:00 departure in the Far
North shopping center located on the east side of San Mateo
and North side of Academy. Meet in the middle of the large
parking lot. Bring lunch. The trip will end in the early afternoon.

JUNE 16 - Walk the trails in the open space at the east end of
Copper
 with Lannois Neely: 890-7881, lfneely@aol.com Meet
in the parking area at 7:00 a.m. The 1 ½ mile walk is over fairly
level terrain and will end in the late morning.

JUNE 23 - Isleta Marsh and Los Lunas River Park with Donna
Royer: 869-6882, dlroyer@earthlink.net Meet at 7:50 a.m. for
an 8:00 departure in the parking lot at the back of the Hawthorne
Suites on Gibson and University or the pull off on NM
314 at Isleta pond at 8:20. After visiting Los Lunas River Park,
the group will have lunch at Henrietta’s in Los Lunas. Then they
will visit a heron and egret rookery in Bosque Farms. Rookery
directions: From NM 47, turn west on South Bosque Loop and
drive .4 of a mile. The rookery is at the intersection with Camino
Del Chavez. The trip will end in mid afternoon.

JUNE 30 - Kit Carson Park, Tingley Beach, and bosque ponds
with Lefty Arnold: 514-9398, hoosierjohnarnold@yahoo.com
Meet at 7:59 a.m. in the parking lot for Kit Carson Park , also
called Rio Grande Park. To get there turn west to Central from
Rio Grande Boulevard, NW, go south on Tingley Drive from
Cental, then turn left at the fi rst opportunity and immediately
turn left again into the parking lot. The group will walk about
two miles. Brunch at the Red Ball Café on 4th Street.

JULY 7 - Ojito de San Antonio Open Space in Cedar Crest with
Rebecca Gracey: 242-3821, maryrebeccagracey@gmail.com
Meet at 7:20 a.m. for a 7:30 departure from the Four Hills shopping
center parking lot near Carl’s Jr. The center is on the south
side of Central and east of Juan Tabo. The open space is located
behind the San Antonio de Padua Church, one mile on the west
after going under I-40. The walk will end before noon.

JULY 14 - Villaneuva State Park on the Pecos River with Karen
and Gary Boettcher: 281-6726, nmkestrel@yahoo.com Arrive
at 7:20 a.m. for a 7:30 departure from the Sandia Ranger Station
in Tijeras on NM 337. Bring lunch. The park is 70 miles east on
I-40, then north on NM 3 for 20 miles. There is a $5.00 entrance
fee if you don’t have a state parks pass.

JULY 21 - Simm’s Ranch and Bonnie Long’s house in the Manzanos
for hummingbirds, bluebirds, a potluck lunch.
 The leader
is Bonnie Long: 379-1985, cantrade_1@yahoo.com Meet at
8:50 a.m. for a 9:00 departure in the Four-Hills shopping center
located on Central between Juan Tabo and Tramway, in the
parking lot by Carl’s Jr or the entrance to the Simm’s Ranch on
Highway 337, six miles south of Chilili, at 9:50. Bonnie will provide
both chicken and meatless enchiladas and iced tea, and
everyone else should bring other dishes and drinks.

JULY 28 - Walk the trails in the Sandias from the Crest to
Kiwanis Meadow and other surrounding areas
 with Gale Owings:
255-8333. Meet in the Four Hills shopping center on the
south side of Central, east of Juan Tabo, near the Carl’s Jr. at 7:20
a.m. for a 7:30 departure or in the lower parking lot at the Crest
at 8:15. (Parking fee or pass required.) The walk will end in the
late morning.

AUGUST 4 - Pueblo Montano Picnic Area and Sculpture Park
for a walk along the bosque
 with Rebecca Gracey: 242-3821,
maryrebeccagracey@gmail.com Meet at 8:30 a.m. when the
parking lot opens to the public. The park is located on the
south side of Montano just west of the Rio Grande river and
east of Coors. This will be an easy 1 ½ mile walk. Lunch afterwards
at Hannah and Nate’s in the Riverside Plaza on Coors.

AUGUST 11 - Walk the 10K trail in the Sandias with Gary Shirk:
830-5925, gshirk748@gmail.com
Meet in the Four Hills shopping center parking lot on the south
side of Central and east of Juan Tabo near the Carl’s Jr. at 7:50
a.m. for an 8:00 departure time. You can also meet the group
at the 10K parking lot at 8:45. The trail may be winding and
uneven. (Parking fee or pass required.) The walk will end before
noon.

AUGUST 18 - Shorebird birding at a location to be determined
the day of the trip. The leader will be Matt O’Donnell: 814-360-
7496, mjodon@gmail.com Meet at the Far North shopping
center in the middle of the large parking lot at 7:20 a.m. for
7:30 departure. It is located on the east side of San Mateo and
north side of Academy. A spotting scope would be helpful on
this trip. It should end in the late morning.

AUGUST 25 - Sulphur and La Cienega Canyons in the Sandias
with Sally Burke, 792-1788. Meet at 7:50 a.m for an 8:00
departure at the Four Hills shopping center on Central and
west of Tramway, near Carl’s Jr to car pool. Very little walking is
involved. (Parking fee or pass required.) Bring lunch or a snack.
The trip will end in the late morning.

Thursday Birder Trip Reports
Judy Liddell’s Blog: www.wingandsong.wordpress.com
Joe Schelling’s Blog: joeschelling.wordpress.com
Matt O’Donnell’s Blog: abqbirding.wordpress.com

Other Birding Opportunities

Sandia Bird Walks

May through mid-October, Tuesday morning bird walks in the
Sandia Mountains sponsored by the U.S. Forest Service and
CNMAS. Meet at the Sandia Ranger Station at 8:00 a.m. every Tuesday.
Directions: Exit 175 off I-40, go south for one half mile on
Highway 337 to the ranger station on the east.

Weekend Bird Walks at the
Rio Grande Nature Center State Park

Join Saturday and Sunday morning bird walks at the RGNC
located at the far west end of Candelaria Road in Albuquerque’s
North Valley. The walk starts at 8:00 a.m. May through September.
There is a $3 parking fee if you do not have a state parks
pass or a Friends of the Rio Grande Nature Center parking pass.
Call 344-7240 or visit www.rgnc.org for more information.

CNMAS Weekend Field Trips - Summer 2011

Check for updates or additional fi eldtrips on our website:
www.newmexicoaudubon.org/cnmas

Saturday, June 11th: Sandia Breeding Birds
Leader: Matt O’Donnell, mjodon@gmail.com, 814-360-7496
Meet in front of Starbucks in the Four Hill shopping center at
Central and Tramway at 6:30 a.m. We’ll bird our way up the
mountain in search of breeding species such as Band-tailed
Pigeon, Pygmy Nuthatch, Grace’s Warbler, Black-headed Grosbeak,
and Western Tanager. At the Crest we’ll walk to Kiwanas
Meadow looking for American Three-toed Woodpecker, Whitethroated
Swift, and Green-tailed Towhee.

Saturday, August 13th: Water Canyon & Bosque del Apache
Leader: Jim Mosley, ff 1964@msn.com, 505-321-7488
Meet in the McDonald’s parking lot in Socorro (take I-25 exit
150) at 6:30 a.m. We’ll start in Water Canyon in search of Acorn
Woodpecker, Red-faced Warbler, and early migrants including
possibly Hermit Warbler. After spending our morning birding
the canyon we’ll return to Socorro for lunch, then fi nish the
day at Bosque del Apache NWR where we hope to fi nd good
numbers of migrating shorebirds.