Summer birding-related trips and info from Central New Mexico Audubon Society

Summer birding-related trips and info from Central New Mexico Audubon Society

Sandia birding-related excerpts from Central New Mexico Audubon Society Burrowing Owl, June-July-August 2010

Field Trip Schedule
CNMAS trips
prepared by Cole Wolf

Check http://cnmas.newmexicoaudubon.org/ for more field trips and updates. ALWAYS check with the leader before the trip.

Saturday, June 26: Breeding birds in the Sandia Mountains
Leader: Jim Mosley, e-mail
Join us for breeding warblers (Orange-crowned, Virginia’s, Audubon’s, Grace’s, and MacGillivray’s) and other surprises. We will meet in front of Starbucks on Central and Tramway at 7:30 AM. The trip will consist of several stops as we make our way to the top of the Crest. At the Crest House we will stop for a snack before heading out to look for Three-toed Woodpecker and other mountain species. There will be some walks at high altitude, so plan accordingly. Please contact the leader if you plan on attending.

Saturday, July 24: Corrales Bosque and Alameda Bridge area
Leader: Jim Mosley, e-mail
The trip will start at 7:00 AM and we will meet in the Flying Star parking lot (located on the east side of Corrales Road). We will be looking for early migrants and some summer residents. The weather can be variable so dress accordingly. Bring water and snacks. This trip will conclude around11:00 AM.

Thursday Birders Field Trip Schedule

June 17: Sandia Peak Ski Area and Balsam Glade picnic area in the Sandias
With Gale Owings: 255-8333
Meet at 7:00 a.m. in the Four Hills shopping center on Central and west of Tramway near Hollywood Video or at 7:45 in the lower parking lot of the ski area. The trip will end around noon. (Parking fee or pass required.)

July 1: Capulin Springs in the Sandias
With Karen and Gary Boettcher: 281-6726, e-mail
Meet at 8:00 a.m. at the Sandia Ranger Station in Tijeras on Highway 337 to car pool to the mountains. Bring something to sit on while waiting for birds to come to the water. (Parking fee or pass required at Capulin.)

July 15: Three-toed Woodpecker quest in the Sandias
With Mary Lou Arthur: 299-2565, e-mail
Meet at 8:30 a.m. at the Four Hills shopping center on Central and west of Tramway near the Hollywood Video. The group will explore the trails between the crest and Kiwanis Meadow. Bring lunch or buy lunch at the Crest House. (Parking fee or pass required.)

July 29: Ojito de San Antonio Open Space in Cedar Crest
With Lannois Neely: 890-7881, e-mail
Meet at 8:00 a.m. in the Four Hills shopping center on Central and west of Tramway near the Hollywood Video. The trip will end before noon.

August 5: 10K Trail in the Sandias
With Melissa Howard: 286-9365, e-mail
Meet at 8:00 a.m. in the Four Hills shopping center north of Hollywood video or 8:45 at the trail head parking lot. (Parking fee or pass required.) The walk will end before noon.

August 26: Sulfur and La Cienega Canyons in the Sandias
With Sally Burke, 792-1788
Meet at 8:00 a.m. at the Four Hills shopping center on Central and west of Tramway, near the Hollywood Video to car pool. Very little walking involved. (Parking fee or pass required.)

Judy Liddell has a blog where she reports on the Thursday Birder trips she attends. You may read about them at http://www.wingandsong.wordpress.com

Remember to record your sightings at http://www.ebird.org/

Band of Brothers
Audubon members have already received their May-June issue of Audubon, the national magazine. Perhaps you put yours aside for later. Perhaps you didn’t even open it based on the cover, a dark picture of an oil rig in northeastern Pennsylvania, thinking “This is just too depressing.” Let us give you hope and a lighter view: Turn to Page 66 first. Yes, those ARE Rosyfinch photos taken in the Sandias. Keep reading. Yes, these are our very own, at-home-in-New-Mexico “young birders” and devoted researchers and activists. Take hope. Get involved. You don’t have to have known Ryan to be affected by his magic. Find your own — and then spread some. We really are all in this together. Link to full article in Audubon Magazine

Central New Mexico Audubon Is On Facebook!
Become a Fan and get Facebook updates: go to the following link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ and type “Central New Mexico Audubon Society” in the search box. ! en click on the link “Central New Mexico Audubon Society” and it will take you to our page. There will be a button that you can click on that says, “Become a Fan.” If you would like to receive an e-mail reminder about meetings rather than joining Facebook, e-mail Judy Liddell, Publicity Chair, at e-mail.

RE: Summer birding-related trips and info from Central New MexicoAudubon Society

jliddell5
Thanks!

Sandia birding-related excerpts from Central New Mexico Audubon Society Burrowing Owl, June-July-August 2010

Field Trip Schedule
CNMAS trips
prepared by Cole Wolf

Check http://cnmas.newmexicoaudubon.org/ for more field trips and updates. ALWAYS check with the leader before the trip.

Saturday, June 26: Breeding birds in the Sandia Mountains
Leader: Jim Mosley, e-mail
Join us for breeding warblers (Orange-crowned, Virginia’s, Audubon’s, Grace’s, and MacGillivray’s) and other surprises. We will meet in front of Starbucks on Central and Tramway at 7:30 AM. The trip will consist of several stops as we make our way to the top of the Crest. At the Crest House we will stop for a snack before heading out to look for Three-toed Woodpecker and other mountain species. ! ere will be some walks at high altitude, so plan accordingly. Please contact the leader if you plan on attending.

Judy Liddell has a blog where she reports on the Thursday Birder trips she attends. You may read about them at www.wingandsong.wordpress.com

Become a Fan and get Facebook updates: go to the following link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ and type “Central New Mexico Audubon Society” in the search box. ! en click on the link “Central New Mexico Audubon Society” and it will take you to our page. ! ere will be a button that you can click on that says, “Become a Fan.” If you would like to receive an e-mail reminder about meetings rather than joining Facebook, e-mail Judy Liddell, Publicity Chair, at e-mail.