Snow packed on Crest Road-- NO Banding Sunday FEB 7

Snow packed on Crest Road-- NO Banding Sunday FEB 7

Bad news from the banding team, and a caution---

Hi all,

We made it to the Crest House today but we did not band .  Gene had decided not to open.   The road was fine up to the ski area but from there to the top it was snow packed.  It was snowing when we left.

We hope to be able to band next week-end but please watch the weather.

Nancy & Steve

Re: Snow packed on Crest Road-- NO Banding Sunday FEB 7

I received this query from ANON on Saturday, February 6th.

Hello Ken

We will try # 2 to get up and see the rosy finches - weather didn't permit us last time.  Are you expecting significant snow on the mountain tomorrow?  Another question, are you aware of any other places (lower elevation) where one might see these finches?

Thank you in advance.

= = = = =

I replied:

I know of no lower places so far this year. One year they showed up at a feeder in Madrid, near the center of town.

Of course, more northern locations have them at lower elevations-- Taos Ski Valley and Angle Fire, also Eagle Nest.
= = = = =

On February 7th ANON wrote:

Hello Ken

We just got back from a LONG unfulfilling trip to see the finches.  Our driver driving a CR-V Honda was afraid to attempt the mountain after driving a short distance - ice and snow build-up.  The phone # you gave me (505) 243-0605 never worked.  It sounded as though it reached a fax machine?

= = = = =

My reply:

I'm sure sorry about your failed trip. This is why I always recommend that visitors plan to stay over at least 2 nights, giving three chances to make the drive up the mountain, as they usually clear the road by that time if it snows.

(505) 243-0605 should be the correct number for the Crest House-- the fax number is 243-4406, but I will verify the phone number for the benefit of others who may call it.

Hope you get out again to see the Rosies. If you do, please let me know.

Good Birding!
= = = = =

Dave and Fran, Co-coordinators of the Sandia Crest Rosy-Finch Feeding Project replied:

Ken,

We used that phone number (505-243-0605) today and reached the Crest House staff.  It is possible that the lines were down when the call was made.

It would be wise for anyone planning to go up to the Crest during the winter to call the Crest House first and confirm that someone is there and they are open.

This winter they have had to stay closed more frequently for two reasons:
1)the unusually frequent and deep snows and
2)they no longer have someone living up there on a regular basis so it is sometimes not be possible or safe for staff to drive up.

When we get really big snows like the ones that have come through recently, the upper half of the Crest Road is a lower priority for the Department of Transportation plowing crews - they have to concentrate on major thoroughfares and the interstate first.

It is regrettable that some folks have been disappointed when they missed getting up to see the Rosies but it is tough to control Mother Nature!

Best regards,
Fran

= = = = =

ANON wrote (Feb 9):

Thank you.  Yes we dialed this number several times only to get some sort of static on the line - no ringing.  There was no snow on the roads in Albuquerque - we only encountered it trying to drive up the mountain.  Looked as though some sand had been scattered, but that ended very quickly.  Then it was strictly ice with about an inch or two of snow on top.
= = = = =

Fran replied:

Yes, it is very common for everything to be totally clear in Albuquerque and the top of the mountain be buried in snow.  This is because there is a 5000' difference in elevation between town and the Crest and it results in two different climates with road conditions that can be changeable and unpredictable.
Hoping that you do finally get up there to see the Rosies,
Fran