Sandias Winter Wren, Red Crossbills, Pine Grosbeak and more

Sandias Winter Wren, Red Crossbills, Pine Grosbeak and more

This was posted on the Arizona-New Mexico list: BIRDWG05 Online Archives

Date:    Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:52:53 -0700
From:    Cole Wolf
Subject: NM: Sandia Mtns. Winter Wren, Rosy-Finches, 11/26/10

Hi all,

This morning I did some birding on the east side of the Sandia Mountains. I started at Cienega Canyon where I found a WINTER WREN in the thick brush along the stream above the meadow. The bird was very shy and retiring, but at times it would call frequently. I also had a SONG SPARROW in the same area. There was a lot of activity throughout the canyon, on the walk in I had 2 DOWNY WOODPECKERS, lots of GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, and several RED CROSSBILLS. If anyone is interested in looking for the wren, I made a map showing the area where it was: http://tinyurl.com/278e5vw

I made a few more stops on my way up to Sandia Crest but didn't have anything of note. I only had to wait for five minutes in the Crest House before a flock of about 30 Rosy-Finches came to the feeder. They were almost all BROWN-CAPPED, with 5 BLACK, and 1 (INTERIOR) GRAY-CROWNED. One Black and at least 3 of the Brown-capped were banded. The walk to Kiwanas Meadow produced several flocks of RED CROSSBILLS. I spoke to another birder who reported 2 PINE GROSBEAKS near the Crest House parking lot, unfortunately I could not relocate them.

Good Birding,

Cole Wolf
Albuquerque, NM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nmcrotalus/

Re: Sandias Winter Wren, Red Crossbills, Pine Grosbeak and more

A follow-up from Raymond, also on the Arizona-New Mexico list: BIRDWG05 Online Archives

Date:    Sat, 27 Nov 2010 20:51:14 -0700
From:    Raymond VanBuskirk
Subject: NM: Sandia Mountains, Winter Wren

Hello all,

This evening (11/27) Beth Hurst-Waitz and myself re-found Cole's Winter Wren in Cienega Canyon. It was no longer above the meadow, instead it was calling and actively feeding below the meadow in the vegetation along the stream bed. It was just down stream from the two wooden bridges which cross over the stream just below the meadow. Good luck to all that try for it! Oh, as a side note, one can no longer drive to Cienega canyon because it has been closed to vehicles for the winter. You must park at Sulphur Canyon and hike the road to Cienega.

Cheers and Good Birding,
Raymond VanBuskirk

Sent from my iPhone