Sandia Mountains Field trip report and snow forecast

Sandia Mountains Field trip report and snow forecast

Cole posted this report on the AZ/NM Bird Board.

I should also note that heavy snow is forecast:

The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Advisory for the Albuquerque/East Mountain area that is effective from 5:00 pm, Monday, January 31, 2011 through 11:00 am, Wednesday, February 2, 2011. The advisory calls for a possible 8 inches of snow with wind gusts of up to 40 mph. with dangerous wind chills and hazardous driving conditions.

Date:    Sun, 30 Jan 2011
From:    Cole Wolf
Subject: NM: CNMAS Sandia Mts. Field Trip 1/30/11

Hi all,

Today I joined the Central NM Audubon Society's field trip to Sandia Crest led by Raymond VanBuskirk. Bird numbers were generally, low but the group still saw some good birds. I've listed the highlights below.

Doc Long Picnic Area: three PYGMY NUTHATCHES along the stream south of the group shelters

Balsam Glade Overlook: 5-6 EVENING GROSBEAKS were briefly seen flying up the canyon beneath the overlook

Crest House: Several large flocks of rosy-finches visited the feeders regularly for the entire afternoon. Most were BLACK ROSY-FINCHES with lesser numbers of GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCHES (including several HEPBURN'S) and BROWN-CAPPED ROSY-FINCHES mixed in. The group also had the opportunity to see individuals of all three species in the hand thanks to the rosy-finch banding team.

Crest Trails: one male AMERICAN THREE-TOED WOODPECKER drumming along the Buried Cable Trail (the cross-country ski trail that parallels the main trail to Kiwanas Meadow). It was only 50 yards southeast of the gate at the south end

Thanks to Ray for leading a great trip and thanks again to the rosy-finch banders for putting up with such a large group and showing us some cool birds. Our next weekend field trip will be Saturday, February 19th to Sevilleta NWR. This trip is an opportunity to see a refuge that is normally closed to public access. Details here: http://cnmas.newmexicoaudubon.org/?page_id=170

Cole Wolf
CNMAS Field Trip Coordinator
http://cnmas.newmexicoaudubon.org/