Sandia Crest denizens

From BIRDWG05

March 8, 2010

M.A. and I visited the Sandia Crest House last Friday (03/05/10) afternoon in search of this year's crop of Rosy-Finches.

We weren't disappointed. All three types (Black, Brown-Capped, and Gray-Crowned) were present, and there was a brief moment when a flock of ~70 rosy-finches swooped in to eat (I have some pictures and need to count heads and types,
soon).

Other notables include Stellar's Jays, Mountain Chickadees, Dark-Eyed Juncos (Red-Backed), and both White-Breasted and Red-Breasted Nuthatches.

The wind was howling but we walked along the crest trail for perhaps a 1/3 mile, seeing more Mountain Chickadees, a Brown Creeper, and an American Three-Toed Woodpecker who gave us quite a show.

Worth the trip and it didn't seem as cold after seeing all of our birdie friends.

Thanks.

Rick