Sandia Crest Trail Conditions Hazardous

Cibola Trail Rangers have issued this report on trail conditions. Especially note that the trail between the Crest House and the ski terminal at Sandia Peak should not be attempted alone and without proper equipment. I am reminded of the time when I stepped into a 6 foot drift on the way to a feeder that was located just east of the Crest House. I was immobilized when I tried to walk forward-- had to "swim" up to the surface.  Used snowshoes after that incident!

Here is the entrance area of the Crest House after a blizzard:

LA LUZ TRAIL REPORT--Winter, 2009--2010

Report #3

Date of report: Dec. 26, 2009 Fresh snowfall Dec. 22-23!

La Luz trailhead to Chimney Canyon Spring (8200ft): 3 to 4 inches of fresh snow cover 75 percent of the trail. This snow will gradually melt, leaving numerous icy spots.

Chimney Canyon Spring to La Cueva Overlook (8900ft): 4 to 6 inches of fresh snow cover nearly 100 percent of the trail. This snow will compact and partially melt, leaving extended icy spots.

La Cueva Overlook to 5 mile sign (9000ft): 6 to 12 inches of fresh snow, with some drifting. Melting will leave icy spots, especially near the 5 mile sign.

5 mile sign to junction with Crest Spur trail (10100ft): This upper portion of La Luz trail (in La Cueva Canyon) is covered with snow depths ranging from 12 inches to drifts that are 5 to 6 feet deep. The fresh snow is unconsolidated and travel is slow. Snowshoes will be helpful for the next week or so. The extreme cold will prevent the formation of ice on the trail.

La Luz trail to Upper Tram or Crest Spur to Crest : These upper trails have numerous deep drifts which have the potential of becoming icy. Hiking poles and proper footwear, including ice walking accessories may be necessary in the near future.

Remember, the days are short and the weather at the top can become extremely cold!

Be prepared!