Rosy-finches still present March 25th

Here is Dave Weaver's latest report (March 25)

Hi Ken,

I went up to the Crest this morning.  It was about 32 degrees (F) with winds between 10 and 20 mph at 10:00am.  The road and parking lots were clear.  The remaining snow is quite patchy, mostly in the shade above 9000 feet, and no new snowfall is expected.

As you will see from the attached log update, the rosy finches are still present at the Crest.  The Crest House staff say that the birds are coming to the feeder almost exclusively in the mornings.  I will be sure to let you know when it is clear that the birds have departed for the season, which I am guessing could happen almost any time now.

Hope all is well!

Dave

In a related item, this report was posted on the AZ/NM PBA:

Date:    Fri, 25 Mar 2011 19:
From:    Robert Lewis
Subject: NM: Rosy Finches at Sandia Crest

All,

Spurred by visiting family, a trip to Sandia Crest this windy afternoon found a few Rosy Finches still at the feeder around 2:00pm.

There were a total of around ten birds, Black, Gray-crowned, and one Hepburn's.

Bob Lewis
Sleepy Hollow NY

Re: Rosy-finches still present March 25th

Rich DeCoster
There were 20-20 rosy-finches at the feeder on Tuesday March 29, 2011 between 8:30 am and as late as 10:45 am when I left the crest.  I am a birder from Chicago and do not know my rosy-finches as well as I would like and I had only the national geographic guide which was not of great use.  The bulk of the remaining birds were black rosy-finches with 4-10 grey-crowned.  I suspect I don't know how to id brown-capped.  In any event they wre wonderful to behold!  Thanks for this wonderful rosy-finch site.

Rich DeCoster
rjdcub1  AT yahoo.com