Rosy-finches have departed

The flag is no longer flying. A final report from Dave Weaver to close out the 2010-2011 season. The hummingbird feeders will be going up!

A huge thank-you to Dave and Fran for all their efforts on behalf of the rosy-finch feeding program, and to Gene Romero and staff, as well as management of Sunwest Silver for their hospitality to hundreds of birders and for continuing to host the feeders!

Hi Ken,

I am just back down from the Crest, where it was sunny and 40 degrees with a light wind (5 - 10mph) at 10:00am.  There is almost no snow left and of course the roads and parking lots are clear.

The Crest House staff say that the rosy finches are gone for the season.  Late last week (Friday?) they saw "a small flock of black and brown capped" and they believe the gray crowned birds left "a few days before that".  The last log entries are for sightings on April 5th.  It seems the birds were gone by about April 9th, although nobody noted an exact date.

Accordingly, I have taken down the feeder and the signs and log book.  Unless the Crest House staff contact us to come up, we will not be going up to the Crest again until our USFS volunteer times starts around Memorial Day.

Take care, and we will be back in touch as the Fall season approaches.  Our best to you and yours.

Dave

RE: Rosy-finches have departed

Fran and Dave
Ken,

And a HUGE thank you to Lee Hopwood and Niki of Wags & Whiskers on Corrales Rd for the donations of seed.  This is a crucial part of the project and represents a significant financial sacrifice on the part of Lee and Niki.

Fran
[...]

Ken Schneider
Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch/

http://sandia-crest-birding-forum.3149816.n2.nabble.com/Rosy-finches-have-departed-tp6270192p6270192.html
This email was sent by Rosyfinch<http://sandia-crest-birding-forum.3149816.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=user_nodes&user=133065> (via Nabble)
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion<http://sandia-crest-birding-forum.3149816.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=subscribe_by_code&node=6270192&code=Zmx1c3NvQHdmdWJtYy5lZHV8NjI3MDE5MnwtMjA4Nzc1MzM0Mg==>