Rosy Finches are back!

sanchez

Dear Ken:

My wife and I spent 2 and 1/2 hours at Sandia Crest today.  The snow must have activated the Rosy Finches because both feeders were active.  We saw an estimated 60 finches.

Since these were lifers for us, I'm not absolutely sure of the ID's of the birds I photographed: https://picasaweb.google.com/100559297474933995697/RosyFinches?authkey=Gv1sRgCOKU96n90tL5mwE

I'd appreciate your confirmation on the ID's.  In the first photo of the mob scene at the feeder, I think you can pick out a couple of Gray-crowned birds, but I didn't get a decent photo of one.  The other 2  species were more cooperative.  Many of the birds were banded.

Isaac Sanchez
Austin

From: "Rosyfinch [via Sandia Crest Birding FORUM]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, December 14, 2012 2:15 PM
To: "\"Sanchez" <[hidden email]>
Subject: DEC 14 Update and sighting advice from banding team

Latest advice from the Sandia Rosy-Finch Project Facebook Page, posted December 13

A quick update!

The feeders at the crest are up, but the birds have still not found the feeders. Rosy-finches are being seen in small numbers.

The best place to see them right now is to look down at the Crest House deck from the outlook area that is immediately above and to the west of the upper parking area. The deck is located on the west side of the building (south of the overlook area).

People have been seeing Pine Grosbeaks and the Three-toed Woodpecker regularly on the the crest trail!

We will not be banding for the rest of the year. We plan on being back at the crest for banding sometime in mid January. Check the schedule for an update soon detailing the exact date that banding will resume.

To start a new topic under Rosy-Finch Observations and Banding Reports CURRENT WINTER 2012-2013, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Sandia Crest Birding FORUM, click here.
NAML

Re: Rosy Finches are back!

That is great news, Isaac! I posted this on the Sandia Rosy-Finch Project Facebook Page with a request for confirmation of the identity of the finches in your photos. I agree with all except the one marked as a Gray-crowned. It looks to me more like a hatch-year Black Rosy-Finch. The banding team members can provide us with feedback about the finer points of ID. If you saw a Hepburn's that clinches your lifer anyway.

The quality of your  photos is great. So pleased you had a successful visit.

Ken

Re: Rosy Finches are back!

sanchez
Hi Ken:

After some study, I agree that the finch I identified as Gray-crowned is an immature Black.

Sincerely,

Isaac Sanchez
Austin

From: "Rosyfinch [via Sandia Crest Birding FORUM]" <[hidden email]>