Rosy-Finches Return

I think that ryme frost is the next best thing to snow, and it sure is beautiful. Fran and Dave, Rosy-Finch Feeding Project Coordinators, forwarded a note that was posted on the Sandia USFS Volunteers and New Mexico Friends of the Forest Yahoo Group. They will provide us with a copy of the sightings log at Sandia Crest House:

Ken,

Below is a report from other USFS volunteers.  Dave is planning to go up tomorrow - Tuesday - to check things out.  Will report back then.

Fran & Dave

Hello Everyone:

Sally and I visited the Crest mid-day yesterday. It was 17 degrees and foggy with rime frost covering just about everything. Kind of resembled the front of a Christmas card up there.

We learned that the Rosy Finches have returned for their annual winter visit. Crest House manager Gene Romero said that their return was a bit later than usual this year but that they were filtering in bit by bit.

The arrival had already attracted a few observers equipped with fancy cameras mounted with bazillion millimeter telephoto lenses.

Bob and Sally Lowder.