Road Conditions-- Closures possible

The following is from NM Friends of the Sandia Mountains. Note the highlighted text.

If you are planning a visit, first check road conditions here at the NM DOT Roads Web site.

Click on the area east of Albuquerque for an enlarged and more detailed display, paying special attention to I-40, its intersection with NM-14 and especially the Crest Road, which is NM 534.

Keep in mind that the Paa-Ko golf course camera is located at only about 7000 feet, on NM-14 north of the Crest Road intersection, so conditions are generally far worse at higher elevations.

Hello Everyone:

Out of consideration for the safety of our volunteers and participants, the 8th Annual Sandia Mountain Snowshoe Race has been cancelled. The issuance of a winter storm warning and prediction of up to 18 inches of snow in the Sandias for tonight and tomorrow had to be considered.

We were informed by NMDOT that the Crest road is a low priority for snow removal. It is therefore likely that equipment will be busy elsewhere keeping major roads clear during this storm. We have also learned from law enforcement that if the snow continues, closure of I-40 in the canyon today and tonight is possible.

There is much coordination required for this event including prior set-up, delivery of refreshments, etc. which make it virtually impossible to wait until the last minute to make a "go" or "no go" decision.

While we regret having to take this action, we feel it is in the best interest of all concerned.

Please see the event web site www.sandiasnowshoe.com for details.

Bob Lowder, President
Friends of the Sandia Mountains

Hazardous Weather Outlook

600 AM MST FRI JAN 22 2010

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF NORTH AND CENTRAL
NEW MEXICO.

DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

A COLD FRONT WILL MOVE FROM CENTRAL INTO EASTERN NEW MEXICO THIS
MORNING...THEN EAST OF THE STATE TONIGHT. MODERATE TO LOCALLY HEAVY
SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO PERSIST AT LEAST INTO TONIGHT...
THE MOST SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS FALLING FROM THE CENTRAL MOUNTAIN
CHAIN WESTWARD TO BETWEEN THE CONTINENTAL DIVIDE AND THE ARIZONA
BORDER. LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE LIKELY ACROSS MUCH
OF THE HIGH TERRAIN...WITH AN INCH TO SEVERAL INCHES AT LOWER
ELEVATIONS.

SOME STREAMS ACROSS SOUTHWEST CATRON COUNTY WILL APPROACH AND
PERHAPS BRIEFLY EXCEED BANKFULL TODAY...DUE TO A COMBINATION OF
EARLIER HEAVY RAINFALL AND SOME MELTING OF THE LOWER PORTION OF THE
SNOWPACK. THE MAJOR STREAMS MOST IMPACTED WILL BE THE SAN
FRANCISCO...GILA AND MIMBRES RIVERS...BUT SMALLER STREAMS WILL SEE
HIGH FLOWS AS WELL. WITH COLDER TEMPERATURES AND DROPPING SNOW
LEVELS...FLOW LEVELS SHOULD TEND TO DROP LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT.

STRONG SOUTHWEST TO WEST WINDS WILL BUFFET AREAS ALONG AND EAST OF
THE CENTRAL MOUNTAIN CHAIN AS WELL AS THE NORTHERN GILA REGION
TODAY AND FOR AWHILE TONIGHT...WHEN GUSTS MAY REACH 40 TO 50 MPH ON
OCCASION...AND EVEN BETWEEN 50 AND 60 AT A FEW SPOTS THIS MORNING.
PLEASE REVIEW THE LATEST WATCHES...WARNINGS AND ADVISORIES FOR MORE
DETAILS.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY

ANOTHER WINTER WEATHER SYSTEM MAY BRING SIGNIFICANT SNOW
ACCUMULATIONS TO PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA TUESDAY NIGHT INTO
WEDNESDAY NIGHT. AT THIS TIME IT APPEARS THAT THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF
THE WEST HALF OF NEW MEXICO IS MOST FAVORED...THOUGH AMOUNTS ARE
EXPECTED TO BE LESS THAN THAT PRODUCED BY TODAY/S SYSTEM.

WEATHER CAN CHANGE VERY RAPIDLY. ALWAYS USE THE LATEST FORECASTS...
WATCHES AND WARNINGS FOR PLANNING PURPOSES.