Re: Bad News/Good News--Feeders will be up all winter

Re: Bad News/Good News--Feeders will be up all winter

JMLimberty
Hi, all

Despite the closing of the Crest House, and the fact that I will likely be braving the crest alone to see the finches, I was hoping that someone could give me specific/detail directions on how to get up the mountain and how to find the finches/feeders. As someone who has never been to Albuquerque, I want to take the extra mile to ensure I have as accurate of info as possible to find the feeders and make the most of my time, without getting lost in the process.

I'll be staying at a hotel in near the 25 and 40 intersection, and will be driving my tried and true 2WD passenger car. I am aware of how cold it may be up there, and I plan to dress accordingly. So if anyone can give me the details on how best to find the feeders and see the finches, please let me know. (I also read that the finches can be seen near the Crest House, even though it is closed. Is it easy to find the Crest House as well?)

I thank you you all in advance for your help and feedback, and for helping me make my dream of seeing the rosies come true!

Justin Limberty

Re: Bad News/Good News--Feeders will be up all winter

Hi, Justin--

I am concerned that you will not be accompanied, as if you slip and fall on the ice and are injured there may be no one to render assistance. Hypothermia is a real threat if someone becomes incapacitated and is exposed to the extreme cold for a length of time. Be sure you have your cell phone with you.  Crest House is at the top of the road, and the feeders will either still be to the south and/or southeast  of the rear of Crest House, near the lower parking lot, or relocated nearer the upper lot. The lower lot is not expected to be maintained or plowed during the period of closure, so it may be very slippery and hazardous. Hopefully, the upper lot will be plowed but it can be very slippery as well.

Just follow the directions at this link: http://rosyfinch.com/sandia.html#DIRECTIONS_TO_SANDIA_CREST

I am quoting pertinent content here, FYI, but see the link for more information--

Do not confuse the base of the Sandia Peak Ski Area, at the 7 mile mark, with Sandia Crest, at 13.5 miles, the very top. There are no Rosy-Finch feeders at the Ski Area!  The Tram from Albuquerque goes to the Peak, which is a mile south of the Crest.  The 1.5 mile trail connecting the Peak and Crest should not be attempted by casual hikers, especially in winter.

Take I-40 East out of Albuquerque to Exit 175 (Cedar Crest/ NM 14). Exit 175 is about 20 miles East of the I-25 / I-40 intersection.  Exit right from I-40 but bear to the left and then (at the traffic light) pass under I-40 to the north, following NM-14

Then:
Follow NM-14 signs north past Cedar Crest, total of about 6.0 miles, to NM 536 westbound, also known as the Crest Road or the road to the Sandia Ski Area.  There is a gasoline station on the right side of the street just before the left turn.

Take NM-536 all the way to the top, about 13.5 miles (10,678 feet elevation). Look for Clark's Nutcrackers and Northern Pygmy-owl at the ski lift area, and Cassin's Finches and Pine Grosbeaks all along the higher reaches of the road.

The road to Sandia Crest, which is fully paved,  is usually well maintained (plowed and heavily sanded).  Because of the ski area, it is essential for the Forest Service to keep it open to the ski lifts,  which are about 2/3 of the way up the 13 miles to the top.

Sometimes after a particularly big snowfall, or if there is a lot of blowing snow, there can be drifts and early morning ice in the upper reaches.  Be particularly careful at curves and at stretches of road that are in the shade. We never had trouble in our 4WD Nissan Pathfinder, and  a front wheel drive sedan should be able to make it even without chains if the road is sanded and there are no drifts.

If you arrive after a snowfall, call the Sandia Ranger District (505-281-3304) and ask about road conditions.  The State Highway Department Web page provides information about road conditions.  Note the date and time of the advisory as it may be out of date, or call Road Advisory Hotline at:  1-800-432-4269.Be sure to check the weather and not attempt the drive up the mountain in heavy snow or immediately after a snowfall.

Re: Bad News/Good News--Feeders will be up all winter

JMLimberty
Thank you so much for the detailed feedback and advice. Unless the snow is falling heavily during my stay, I am confident that I should make it to the destination (I'll even rent a 4WD vehicle if need be to make it to the rosies-viewing area). Thank you again for all the help, and wish me luck!