Query about observing banding sessions

I received this query, parts of which I am posting for everyone's benefit.

Hi ,

I am planning on bringing our  group ... to see the Rosy Finch Banding project. We are planning on this field trip for  Sun. Jan. 13, 2013 . We will be approximately  10- 12 people.

Could you please tell me whom I should contact to make arrangements to do this. I have been there several times myself  but wanted to make sure that you will be banding that day and what would be the best time to come? Also if we need to make any special arrangements & etc.

I appreciate your assistance with my field trip!

= = = = = = = =

My response:

Hi,

It is important for you to know that the Crest House is closed for the winter and banding has to take place out in the cold. Therefore the birds cannot be handled any longer than absolutely necessary, and there may not be time for the banding team to offer much interpretation or display of plumage, etc.

They band at 10:00 AM on most Sundays. For details and updated banding schedule please visit this link in the Sandia Crest Birding FORUM

I am forwarding your query to Steve and Nancy Cox for their attention and any further response as necessary.

= = = = = = = =

Nancy Cox responded further:

We will not be banding Rosy-Finches until the 20th of January.  Raymond and Michael will both be out of town until after the 13th.  Steve will be going up to check on the feeders on the 13th but will not be there for long.

As Ken mentions, we are having to band out of our vehicles.  It is definitely different than in previous years where we could have a huge audience watching the banding process.  Last week we were only able to show a few birds to visitors after we had finished banding them.

We hope to be able to be back in the Crest House when it reopens in March.  We just don't know if the birds will still be here.

I hope you and your group still go to the Crest to enjoy watching the birds at the feeders.  They do put on a spectacular show on their own.

Re: Query about observing banding sessions

JMLimberty
Good to know regarding the banding sessions. This inquiry has led to me think of another question, regarding the rosies, however.

Are folks still maintaining/filling the feeders throughout the week? I read the unsettling and unfortunate news regarding the gentleman slipping on ice and injuring himself, and to my understanding, he was one of the folks maintaining the feeders. Were I not living in Kanab, Utah, and instead in Albuquerque, I would be happy to volunteer to help keep the feeders filled.

I'll be visiting Albuquerque starting this coming Thursday, and plan to spend the day on the Sandia Crest either this coming Friday (1/11) or Saturday (1/12) in hopes of seeing the rosies and a few other high-elevation winter birds. Perhaps I'll see some of you up there!

Justin L.

Re: Query about observing banding sessions

Swiftbirder
My husband and I went up to see the rosy finches on January 2nd. We spent about 90 minutes waiting/watching for them at the lower feeder (below the house) and at the feeder up on the fence above and to the left of the house. There was no seed in the feeders. A flock of about 40 finches flew into the tall tree next to the lower feeder....for all of 30 seconds. I definitely identified gray-crowned and black rosy finches, then they took off. They flew over quite high about 45 minutes later, but never landed.

FYI - the road going up the mountain was pretty good, a few patches of ice where the sun didn't hit. My husband thought it would be fine without 4-wheel drive. But watch the weather and maybe call for road advisory information.

The only birds seen the whole time were juncos and a stellar's jay.

It's unfortunate that the Crest House is closed. There were over 20 cars of people there while we were there (looking for the finches, cross country skiing, just looking around having fun). People were very disappointed they couldn't get cocoa or food. And I have loved the jewelry in the past (I always bought some, having been there close to a dozen times).
Cheryl
Michigan

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 5, 2013, at 2:48 PM, "JMLimberty [via Sandia Crest Birding FORUM]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good to know regarding the banding sessions. This inquiry has led to me think of another question, regarding the rosies, however.

Are folks still maintaining/filling the feeders throughout the week? I read the unsettling and unfortunate news regarding the gentleman slipping on ice and injuring himself, and to my understanding, he was one of the folks maintaining the feeders. Were I not living in Kanab, Utah, and instead in Albuquerque, I would be happy to volunteer to help keep the feeders filled.

I'll be visiting Albuquerque starting this coming Thursday, and plan to spend the day on the Sandia Crest either this coming Friday (1/11) or Saturday (1/12) in hopes of seeing the rosies and a few other high-elevation winter birds. Perhaps I'll see some of you up there!

Justin L.

http://sandia-crest-birding-forum.3149816.n2.nabble.com/Query-about-observing-banding-sessions-tp7572708p7572709.html
To start a new topic under Rosy-Finch Observations and Banding Reports CURRENT WINTER 2012-2013, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Sandia Crest Birding FORUM, click here.
NAML