Planning to visit the Crest over Thanksgiving

Planning to visit the Crest over Thanksgiving

Yesterday, I received this query.

We might try to come to Albuquerque over Thanksgiving to try to see the three species of Rosy-finch at Sandia Crest .  Could you give us any information and advice for the visit.

Thanks,  Connie N.

I replied:

Hi, Connie--

Thanksgiving should be a good time to visit Sandia Crest. There should be good-sized flocks of all three rosy-finch species by then.

If possible, plan to stay more than one day, just in case the weather makes driving difficult. If there is a snowstorm, the road is usually clear within a few hours afterward.  It also helps you get used to the altitude.

There is lots of information about visiting in the rosyfinch.com Web suite.

This specific link has directions and other important safety information.: http://rosyfinch.com/sandia.html#DIRECTIONS_TO_SANDIA_CREST

I suggest you also register on the Sandia Crest Birding Forum to receive update reports from other birders, and to let us all know about your trip.

I am posting your note and this reply in the Forum.