NOV 25-- Large flock of Black Rosy-Finches (PHOTO and Link)

NOV 25-- Large flock of Black Rosy-Finches (PHOTO and Link)

Does anyone believe there are any other species besides Black Roay-Finches present? Too bad we can't use binoculars to see that feather detail! Andy Mayer, Crest House Owner/Resident Manager writes (2:19 PM NOV 25 2015) :

Ken,

Today Alan and I saw a flock of about 35 black rosy finches descend on the balcony feeder.

Video and a picture are uploaded to facebook.

Alan and I talked through identification a bit with the blacks having a lot less gray on their heads than the gray crowned regardless of black/brown coloration.

He adds, on the Sanda Crest House Facebook page:   Well.. That was something. Today a flock of over 30 Rosy Finches all flew in to eat at once! For as hard as these birds are to find anywhere else, it's amazing to have them on the porch of the Sandia Crest House in spades!... Earlier today there was an Abert's squirrel that was too busy eating to run away as well. What a place to see wildlife while sipping a Latte and munching on a Two Mile High burger!

Andy

http://facebook.com/SandiaCrestHouse

MORE Re: NOV 25-- Large flock of Black Rosy-Finches (PHOTO and Link)

Andy Mayer's photo includes numbers for each of the 31 rosy-finches. Is it possible to identify any birds that are not Black Rosy-Finches? Here are two cropped enlargements of the original photo--

Numbers 1 through 22:

Numbers 23 through 31:

To my eye, all appear to be Black Rosy-Finches, a mixture of adult and I had some suspicions about #12 which appears not to have a gray crown, and also has a somewhat lighter brown back.