NOV 2 More photos: Black and Gray-crowned Rosy Finches at feeder

NOV 2 More photos: Black and Gray-crowned Rosy Finches at feeder

Andy Mayer, Owner of Crest House, writes (November 2, 2105):

Ken,

4 Rosies this morning.  2 Black and two brown with white/gray heads which to my best understanding is the Gray Crowned.

They were there briefly with a couple chickadees and then rather than flying back and forth to the nearby trees like the chickadees and juncos do, took off down the hill.

Feel free to do as you wish with the pictures.

Andy

Wow! great shots!

Thanks, Andy, for giving me permission to post these photos. There is one adult Black Rosy-Finch and one Adult Gray-crowned (partly visible down in the feeder). The latter has a fairly bright cinnamon-brown  back. The third bird with a darker brown back and gray crown, and in my opinion it is an immature Black Rosy-Finch. It also has noticeable black tips on its feathers, giving it a more mottled look. It should also show brighter pink wing markings and underparts than does the Gray-crowned.

I will defer to any experts who wish to offer as to its identity!

Ken