March 9 Sandia Crest - Rosy-finches and Pine Grosbeaks

March 9 Sandia Crest - Rosy-finches and Pine Grosbeaks

From this morning's AZ/NM Bird List:

Subject: [AZNMbirds] Sandia Crest - Rosy-finches and Pine Grosbeaks
From: Neil Hayward
Date: 3/8/2013 9:03 PM
To: AZNMBirds@list.arizona.edu

Dear NM birders,

I birded Sandia Crest this morning. It was my first ever visit, and I was not disappointed!

All 3 Rosy-finches were at the feeders (visible from the lower parking lot), but in reduced numbers - 1 Gray-crowned (non-Hepburn's), 8 Black and 3 Brown-capped. I arrived around 8:30 and stayed for about 45 mins.

The drive up was also productive. Red Crossbills seemed to be calling from everywhere. There was a mixed flock of Red Crossbills and Siskins on the last bend before arriving at Sandia Crest house - with birds feeding on the road. More surprisingly - about 3/4 of the way up (and after the ski area) was a very active flock of Pine Grosbeaks. They were vocalizing and flying across the road. All were female types - I never saw any adult red males.

Neil Hayward
Cambridge, MA