MARCH 5 Banding report: 57 captured; flocks total about 75 rosy-finches

MARCH 5 Banding report: 57 captured; flocks total about 75 rosy-finches

The latest report from Nancy Cox:

Sandia Crest Rosy-Finch banding project report March 5, 2017

Rio Grande Bird Research newly banded 2 more Brown-capped Rosy-Finches and 1 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (interior race).  We recaptured 50 Brown-caps, 4 Black Rosy-Finches, and 1 Gray-crowned (Hepburnā€™s) that were previously banded.  Two of the Blacks were originally banded in the winter of 2015/2016.

It was 31 degrees when we arrived at the Crest House and windy.  The road was in great shape.

Thanks to the 7 volunteers that helped process the Rosy-Finches we had today.  We saw flocks totaling about 75 birds in the area.