MAR 6 Banding report: 44 captures, flocks of 50 present; VIDEO LINK

MAR 6 Banding report: 44 captures, flocks of 50 present; VIDEO LINK

FOLLOW THIS LINK to the Sandia Crest House FB post about the banding, with video clip.

Amber West of the Banding Team reports (MAR 6):

Hi all,

Rosy-Finch banding was very busy today!  We newly banded four Rosy-Finches, all interior Gray-crowned.

We also recaptured 38 Rosy-Finches from this winter season - 16 Gray-crowned (14 interior, 1 Hepburn's, and 1 possible intergrade), 2 Brown-capped, and 20 Blacks.  As well, we recaptured 2 Black Rosy-Finches from previous seasons - 1 third-year from the 2014-2015 winter season, and 1 after-sixth-year from the 2011-2012 winter season - for a total of 44 encounters.

The flock varied in size, with the maximum size of around 50 Rosy-Finches, with several Hepburn's still present.

The weather was clear and warmed considerably through the day.  The road and parking lot remain clear, although we may get more snow this week.

Banding looks good for Wednesday right now, but is dependent on weather conditions and whether the Crest House will be open.

-Amber West