Long-eared Owl at Ojito de San Antonio Open Space

Long-eared Owl at Ojito de San Antonio Open Space

On Wednesday, January 13, Robert Munro posted to the AZ/NM RBA:

At 10am today a Long-eared Owl flushed out of a Juniper on the right side of
the trail just beyond the last Acequia crossing.  It was very dark and had
striking colors so I am thinking that it may have been a female.  I am used to
seeing such drab colored owls so this really stood out to me. What a treat!

From BIRDING NEAR SANDIA CREST

Only 4.8 miles south of the Crest Road NM 536) intersection on NM-14 is Ojito de San Antonio (formerly Los Manzanares) Open Space, a beautiful place, and a very productive birding area the year round, especially during migration and the breeding season. Look for woodpeckers, warblers, vireos, tanagers, towhees, buntings... all the birds you might see at this elevation (see the Birding Calendar in the Cedar Crest Back Yard Bird List  for specifics). Almost exactly a mile north of I-40, on NM-14, on the west side of the road is the small stucco church of San Antonio de Padua. Park in the lot just behind and to the west of the church, but be aware that you may get blocked in on Sunday mornings by worshipers attending services. Walk west a few yards to the dirt road that leads to the north into this beautiful Bernalillo County Open Space acquisition.

CAUTION: To avoid disturbance to the bears with their cubs and deer that feed on the apples in the old orchard, this undeveloped area may be closed for a period of time in the fall, usually from mid-October to late November. Please obey all signs and do not trespass. You may obtain current information as to status by calling Parks Administration staff, at (505) 314-0401

The following is from Bernalillo County Open Space Properties:

General Description: Ojito de San Antonio consists of 88 acres of land adjacent to the town of San Antonio de Padua. The property borders Cibola National Forest to the northeast. In July 1999, Ojito de San Antonio became the first open space property purchased by Bernalillo County. Ojito takes its name from two nearby springs--Ojo de San Antonio and Acequia Madre. The springs have provided clean drinking water for people and wildlife for centuries. Outside of the acequia fed riparian and orchard areas, vegetation is primarily a large meadow surrounded by steep piƱon-juniper forest foothills. (More information )

Judy's very informative related Blog:
http://wingandsong.wordpress.com/2007/07/27/birding-ojito-de-san-antonio-open-space/