Late March Visit Planned -- will rosy-finches still be there?

Late March Visit Planned -- will rosy-finches still be there?

Hi, Ken,

I stumbled across your web site while looking for information on the rosy finches at Sandia Crest.  We're planning to pass through this area at the end of the month and would love to see the finches.  How long do they stay?  We're going to be driving from Santa Fe, in a highway-type sedan rather than a four-wheel drive vehicle.  We won't have a lot of extra time.  What route would you suggest we take?

Thanks for any advice!

Jan S
Hettinger, ND

= = = = =

Hi, Jan--

Flocks of rosy-finches, usually small, have persisted into the last week of March in 7  of the last 10 winters, and into April in 4 of the last 10 years. So, there is a chance that you may see the m. Since the Gray-crowned species has been less numerous this year, they may disappear earlier, but there is no clear pattern.

To keep current on sightings, visit the Sandia Crest FORUM: http://www.rosyfinch.com/Rosy-FinchFORUM.html

I suggest you approach Sandia Crest from Santa Fe on NM 14 (the Turquoise Trail). The road to Sandia Crest joins NM 14 in Sandia Park, and it is a 13 mile climb to the Crest House.  If there is no current snow, the road should be clear for any car. After a snow event, call the Crest House at 505-243-0605 if you have any question about whether they are open. Here is a link to detailed directions

http://rosyfinch.com/sandia.html#DIRECTIONS_TO_SANDIA_CREST

Thanks!

Ken