JAN 29 Banding Report: Flocks of up to 150, all species incl Hepburn's

JAN 29 Banding Report: Flocks of up to 150, all species incl Hepburn's

After missing the past 2 weeks due to road closures and snow conditions, the team had a great day--

Rio Grande Bird Research Rosy-Finch Banding Project January 29, 2017 at the Sandia Crest House

We ended the day with banding a total of 78 Rosy-Finches plus 5 that were previously banded this season.  We captured 28 Rosy-Finches within 1 minute of setting the traps up.  The majority of the birds banded were Brown-capped (66).  We banded 9 Blacks and 3 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches (all interior race).  One of our repeats was a Hepburn’s Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch.

So far this season we have banded 73% Brown-capped, 20% Blacks, and 7% Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches.  This is the highest percentage for Brown-capped in any season from 2004 through 2016.  The previous high was 63% in the winter of 2007 – 2008.

The largest flock of Rosy-Finches seen today was estimated to be 150.

For the most part the road was clear.  However, there are still quite a few patches of ice.  Please use caution when visiting the Sandia Crest House.