Is Sandia Crest the same as Sandia Peak?

Is Sandia Crest the same as Sandia Peak?

I received this e-mail query today:

Hello,

I just went through Albuquerque on I-40 three days ago. I received conflicting answers about where Sandia Crest is.

Is Sandia Crest the same as Sandia Peak?

Is the eating establishment at the top of Sandia Crest, with the feeding station for the finches, the High Finance Restaurant or the Sandia Crest House?

My wife and I would be traveling to Arizona late this January. If this Sandia Crest and Peak are the same place.........

Are reservations needed for the tram or the restaurant?

Thanks for answering my crazy questions.

Sincerely,
EH
Green Bay, WI

Hi, E--

No, Sandia Peak ski area is about a mile and a half south of Sandia Crest. The Peak is accessible via the tram, but the Peak does not have feeders-- it has the High Finance Restaurant.  Do not attempt to hike from the Peak to the Crest in winter, as the trail can be very hazardous.

The rosy-finches are at the feeder at Sandia Crest House. This is at the top the 13 mile road off NM-14

I think it is advisable to at least call ahead and possibly make reservations for both the tram and the High Finance Restaurant, but do not plan to see rosy finches there.  The Crest House Restaurant and Gift Shop opens at
[UPDATED: New opening time is 10:00 AM].

For more information, see this article in rosyfinch.com http://rosyfinch.com/sandia.html#DIRECTIONS_TO_SANDIA_CREST
and also the Sandia Crest birding Forum http://www.rosyfinch.com/Rosy-FinchFORUM.html

Re: Is Sandia Crest the same as Sandia Peak?

E H   Green Bay
Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. We are looking forward to visiting your area for a few days to see the finches.

Re: Is Sandia Crest the same as Sandia Peak?

EH, Please note that the Crest House opening time is now 10:00 AM, not
9:30 as when I first answered your note.  Members of the banding team
are provided earlier access on Sunday mornings, and you may see staff
inside preparing for opening any day before 10:00 AM, but you will not
be permitted to enter the business until the doors open at 10:00 AM.

Kenneth C. and Mary Lou Schneider
Miramar, Florida 33029

Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com