Flocks of Black and Brown-capped Rosy-Finches November 30

Flocks of Black and Brown-capped Rosy-Finches November 30

From the Arizona-New Mexico RBA

Subject: [AZNMbirds] NM: Sandia Crest Rosy-finches
From: Bruce Berman
Date: 12/1/2013 12:56 AM
To: "aznmbirds@list.arizona.edu" <aznmbirds@list.arizona.edu>

Happy Holidays Folks,

Spent Thanksgiving in Albuquerque, my first time in that area during the cold months since donning binoculars. Of course I HAD to drive up to the Crest House at the top of the Sandia Mountains to look for Rosy-finches, and I wasn't disappointed.

I arrived at 8:30 this morning (Nov. 30) and found the feeder just down the hill from the house (between the lower parking area and the Crest House) crawling with mostly BLACK ROSY-FINCHES and a few BROWN-CAPPED ROSY-FINCHES. Pretty birds!

The deck feeder, viewed from inside the Crest House after it opened at 10 a.m., produced a few Blacks but it was the other feeder that the birds seemed to prefer.

Bird On!
Bruce Berman
Sierra Vista, AZ