FEB 26 Banding Report: 132 captures!

Nancy Cox reports on a remarkable day of banding:

Sandia Crest Rosy-Finch banding project report February 26, 2017

Rio Grande Bird Research newly banded 10 more Brown-capped Rosy-Finches.  We recaptured 88 Brown-caps, 28 Black Rosy-Finches, and 6 Gray-crowned (5 Interior, 1 Hepburnā€™s) that were previously banded.  Two of the Blacks were originally banded in the winter of 2014/2015.  One Brown-capped and one Black were originally banded in the winter of 2015/2016.

For this season 80% of the newly banded Rosy-Finches have been Brown-capped followed by Blacks and a few Gray-crowned.

It was 11 degrees when we arrived at the Crest House and snowing lightly.  It continued snowing and stayed cold until we quit for the day.  The road was snow packed from the Crest House to the ski area.

Thanks to the 9 volunteers that helped process the 132 encounters we had today.