FEB 17 Banding-- flocks of 50-60 with several Hepburn's present

FEB 17 Banding-- flocks of 50-60 with several Hepburn's present

Amber West of the Banding Team said that they were only able to band for three hours because Crest House did not open until 11:00 AM. The late start may be one reason they only caught 10 Rosy-Finches. Crest House also serves as a residence and for security reasons will not open unless staff are present.

She writes (FEB 17):

Hi all,

Rosy-Finch banding was very slow today.  We newly banded three Rosy-Finches, 2 interior Gray-crowned and 1 Brown-capped.  We also recaptured 7 Rosy-Finches from this winter season - 4 interior Gray-crowned and 3 Blacks...

The flock did show multiple times even when we didn't catch any birds, and total flock size was around 50-60 Rosy-Finches, with several Hepburn's still present.

The weather was clear and very warm.  The road and parking lot remain clear, although a few areas of ice (or slush with ice underneath) remain in shadow patches near the Crest House, so be careful walking.

-Amber West