FEB 17 Banding Report: Flocks total over 300 Rosies

FEB 17 Banding Report: Flocks total over 300 Rosies

Here is the latest report from the banding team (FEB 17)

Hi all,

On February 17, 2019 we newly banded 71 Rosy-Finches.  Sixty-six were Blacks, four were Brown-capped, and one was  a Gray-crowned (Hepburn’s).  We recaptured 29 Blacks and 1 Brown-capped.  We have now banded 256 Rosy-Finches this season with 88% being Blacks.

The number of Rosies seen today was estimated to be over 300 birds in three flocks.  There are about 260 Blacks, 30 Brown-capped with about a dozen Gray-crowned mixed in.  There were at least two Hepburn’s seen in one of the flocks.

The upper parking lot is still not plowed but it is slightly better.  It is advisable to park in the lower parking lot.

Nancy & Steve