FEB: 15: Banding Report and more

Nancy & Steve Cox provide this report about their unsuccessful attempts to band on Sunday, FEB 15. FYI, they also conduct banding at Rio Grande Nature Center State Park in Albuquerque. Here is a link to their informative Facebook page, which includes information about other sightings and events:

Rio Grande Bird Research, Inc. FACEBOOK PAGE

Hi Ken,

We didn't catch any new birds today.  We were lucky to even see the birds today.  They were really flighty.  There were approximately 35 birds most of which were Blacks.  One Hepburn's was seen along with a few Brown-capped but most of the birds were Black Rosy-Finches.

The road was clear all the way to the top.

I don't know if you saw my post to the Rio Grande Bird Research facebook page.  Talking Talons had two search and rescue teams giving demonstrations today.  I enjoyed watching the border collie and bloodhounds searching out their targets.  I was impressed at how fast those dogs are.  The border collie returns to its handler but the handlers for the bloodhounds have to keep up with their dogs. Unfortunately for the rescue teams, most of the birders wanted to stay inside hoping for better looks at the Rosy-Finches.

Nancy & Steve