FEB 10 Banding -- over 150 rosy-finches present

FEB 10 Banding -- over 150 rosy-finches present

Michael posted this report on the AZ/NM bird list:

Subject: [AZNMbirds] NM: Sandia Crest Rosy-Finch Banding
From: Michael Hilchey <leucosticte@gmail.com>
Date: 2/10/2013 5:20 PM

Hi all,

The snow and wind kept most people away from the crest today but the birds loved it! Snow was on and off all day and we finally cracked 10 degrees by the time we left.

Rosy-Finches we're in force with over 150 birds. Mostly Black Rosy-Finches with good numbers of Brown and Gray-crowned including at least three Hepburn's subspecies birds. We caught 54 birds total including all three species and three birds that we're originally banded in 2011!

In addition to the Rosy-Finches we also banded an adult WHITE-WINGED JUNCO.

Lastly, some of the group had RED CROSSBILLS and an AMERICAN THREE-TOED WOODPECKER along the road just below the 10k trail head.

Even though it has snowed a little, the roads are clear and easy to drive.

Cheers and good birding!
Michael Hilchey
High Desert Birding Adventures

Re: FEB 10 Banding -- over 150 rosy-finches present

Here is the FEB 3 BANDING UPDATE

Another productive banding day. 25 birds banded and 6 repeats. All three species including Hepburns subspecies. The flock was about 100 birds!

We also had a Merlin fly through and scare the birds.

No Three-toed Woodpecker or Pine Grosbeak but both were seen yesterday afternoon.