December 09: Snow!

Updated: Snow Closes Part of I-25 in Santa Fe Area

nmroads.com

I-25 east of Santa Fe reported snowpacked and icy. The Transportation Department is reporting some lane closures there and between NM 285 and the Los Alamos bypass.

PNM says power has been restored. Cause of outage was trees, company says.

PNM is reporting power outages affecting more than 1880 customers, mostly in the South and North Valleys.

I-25 southbound has been closed due to snow packed and icy conditions from mile marker 290 (junction with US 285) to mile marker  276 (junction with  NM 599) in the Santa Fe area.

Multiple accidents are being reported around Santa Fe.

And residents are reporting that snow is now falling in the East Mountains north of I-40.

The Department of Transportation is reporting heavy snow around Chama and Tierra Amarilla. Light snow also is falling around Raton.

I-25 through Glorieta Pass is snowpacked, and at least some traffic appears to have pulled off the roadway.

Winter has finally arrived.

Parts of northern and central New Mexico have been struck by an arctic front bringing in cooler temperatures and gusty winds. Reports of snow are starting to come in from Northern New Mexcio.

The National Weather Service reports a winter storm warning remains in effect for parts of New Mexico until early Monday. As much as 10 inches of snow accumulation is expected in parts of the northern mountains.

Travel along Interstate 25 from Glorieta Pass to the Colorado border and I-40 east of Tijeras Canyon will likely be hazardous due the winds and snow.

A light snow shower may hit Albuquerque in the next three or four hours, but any accumulation will be just a light dusting, said Jason Frazier, a National Weather Service meteorologist.

“Even with just a minimal dusting, still take it easy on the roads,” he said. “Roads can be slick as they get closer to the freezing level.”

Temperatures have been dropping and will continue to drop, with lows expected in the mid-teens tonight, he said. That would be the coldest temperature this season. The lowest temperature in Albuquerque this season was 23 degrees on Nov. 12, he said.

New Mexico has had little moisture over the past two years, resulting in much of the state having to struggle with some category of drought. So far, this year ranks as the warmest on record and the second driest in New Mexico.