DEC 3 Banding Report: 35 seen all 3 species including 1 Hepburn's

DEC 3 Banding Report: 35 seen all 3 species including 1 Hepburn's

From Nancy Cox of the Banding Team--

Sandia Crest House Rosy-Finch Banding Project December 4, 2016

Today, nine Rio Grande Bird Research (RGBR) volunteers kicked off the 2016-2017 Rosy-Finch Project by banding 7 individual Rosy-Finches:  3 Blacks, 3 Brown-capped, and 1 Gray-crowned (interior race).

We estimated the number of Rosy-Finches flying around to be 35.  We saw at least two previously banded Blacks and one previously banded Brown-capped.  We did not capture any of these previously banded birds.  There was at least one Hepburnā€™s race of the Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch.

The road was mostly clear with just a few icy spots near the top.

We plan to be up again on Sunday December 11 before we break for the Christmas Bird Count season.