DEC 12 Report - A few rosy-finches; Pine Grosbeaks and Red Crossbills still present

DEC 12 Report - A few rosy-finches; Pine Grosbeaks and Red Crossbills still present

Dave Weaver reported today:

Hi Ken,

I went up to the Crest this morning to refill the feeders and check on things.  It was 29 degrees (F) and sunny with a light breeze.  There is almost no snow on the ground and the parking lots are clear.  The road is clear except for a few very small icy patches in the shade.

There were several groups of birders watching the feeders, but there were very few rosy sightings among the groups.  I was there for about 30 minutes and saw 2 Brown Capped and a mixed flock of about 10 rosy finches.  Neither set of birds landed at a feeder.  There still is no snow cover in the woods, so perhaps that is why the finches are not coming to the feeders very often at all.  Indeed, the feeders do not appear to have been depleted very much since the weekend.

I did see several Pine Grosbeaks, a small flock of Red Crossbills, numerous Pine Siskins, and quite a few Juncos, but none were using the feeders.

Hope all is well!

Dave

Nancy Cox replied:

Thanks, Dave, for both checking on the feeders and the update.  We hope more snow will come Friday.  I'm glad you saw rosy-finches and other birds.

Nancy

Re: DEC 12 Report - A few rosy-finches; Pine Grosbeaks and Red Crossbills still present

JoJo
Thank you for detailed and consistent updates! I am very much looking forward to visiting Albuquerque next month and seeing my first rosy finches! The info provided on these forums is invaluable - and very much appreciated!