DEC 11 Banding Report-- flocks of 80 all 3 species incl Hepburn's

DEC 11 Banding Report-- flocks of 80 all 3 species incl Hepburn's

Here is Nancy Cox's report:

Sandia Crest House Rosy-Finch Banding Project December 11, 2016

Thirteen Rio Grande Bird Research (RGBR) volunteers arrived to a very foggy and windy Crest House to help with the Rosy-Finch Banding project today.

RGBR banded 26 individual Rosy-Finches:  10 Blacks, 12 Brown-capped, and 4 Gray-crowned (3 interior race and 1 Hepburnā€™s).  We also recaptured two Blacks.  One was from the 2015/2016 season.   We saw several other previously banded Blacks.

We estimated the number of Rosy-Finches flying around to be at least 80.  There are about 36 Blacks, 36 Brown-capped, and 8 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches.

The road was mostly clear with just a few icy spots near the top.

Our next banding session will be in January 2017.  Watch this page for the next date.