Brown-capped Rosy-Finches confirmed

A number of experienced birders have confirmed that the flock now includes Brown-capped Rosy-Finches! Andy Mayer, Crest House Owner, whose son seems also to have caught the "birding bug," writes:

Ken,

I haven't seen them yet, but my son and others are reporting brown caps.  Incredibly beautiful day today looking down on clouds.  I'll post more on Facebook.com/sandiacresthouse

Andy

Re: Brown-capped Rosy-Finches confirmed

Although they are the species with breeding grounds nearest New Mexico, the Brown-capped Rosy-finches have had an interesting 10 year cycle of scarcity and abundance, according to banding records at Crest House. This species represented 27% of new captures between 2004 through 2013. In the winters of 2003-2004 and again in 2013-2014 they were absent or nearly so. Their numbers peaked to over 60% in 2007-2010. So it is great to know that they are visiting this winter.

Andy Mayer subsequently described his first-hand experience with banding team members Raymond VanBuskirk and Nancy Cox. We don't need any better proof than this!

Andy Mayer writes (NOV 28):

:). Nancy and Raymond let me hold a brown cap this morning.  Guess they are here!

Andy

Sent from my iPhone