Birding Northern NM

Bird Brain
Greetings All You Birders,
  Coming from the Lake Erie Marshes, I will be north of Taos in a few weeks to take care of a sister recovering from surgery.  I'm new to this area.  Can anyone give me some tips on where to go birding up that way, please.  Thanks,
Bird Brain

Re: Birding Northern NM

Hi, Bird Brain!

I would start by checking the current and recent New Mexico Hotline reports, available here:
http://www.nmbirds.org/?page_id=15

You might have certain target birds in mind. For example, Townsend's Solitaire, American Three-toed-Woodpecker, rosy-finches, etc. If so, the hotline should help, and also post such target birds here for suggestions as to their presence and locations.

Perhaps our Northern specialties, such as Northern Shrike and Pine Grosbeak (various locations) and White-winged Crossbill (recently seen at the Santa Fe Ski Basin) may not interest you. Both Las Vegas NWR and Maxwell NWR can be productive during the winter months. This page contains links to additional resources: http://www.nmbirds.org/?page_id=13

I'm not very familiar with winter birding spots in Taos and points north, so I have asked several local birders to respond to your query if they have particular suggestions.

Good Luck!

Re: Birding Northern NM

Bird Brain
Hi Ken-
Thanks for the link.  I've been searching on the web for this area, and it seems a little un-observed.  I did find mention of the Taos Ski Basin for rosy finches in winter.  This would be great as I won't have time to go to Sandia Crest.  Has anyone heard of the Taos Ski area finch reports?
Sharon

Re: Birding Northern NM-- Sangre de Cristo Audubon Society

I was remiss in not including a link to the Sangre de Cristo Audubon Society

Particularly, visit their North Central New Mexico Birding Guide, which contains detailed information about sites and target birds, including maps.

Re: Birding Northern NM-- Sangre de Cristo Audubon Society

Hi, Sharon--

There have been no recent reports from The Kandahar Condos, where rosy-finch feeders have been maintained for the past several years. Gil Bachmann, a birder, was General Manager as of last winter, but I have not been able to reach him.

You may be referring to the reports on rosy-finch species and abundance that Gil would sometimes post to the NM RBA.

Rosy-finches are often seen at Eagle Nest-- Dave Cleary may have information-- his phone number is at this link: http://www.angelfirenm.com/about/area-groups.cfm  Feeders may be maintained in the Village of Eagle Nest. The Paternoster family there has been feeding as well, but I do not have contact information.

Re: Rosy-Finches at Kandahar Condos at Taos Ski Valley YES

I just heard from Gil Bachmann, General Manager of The Kandahar condos at Taos Ski Valley. The news is good!

"...The finches are back in full force again this winter.  At least as many as last year.  I noticed their arrival, but I regret that I didn't write it down.  This year has been more than hectic.  However it's always a pleasant moment when the flock of rosy finches flies in!"

gil"

Re: Birding Northern NM

Bill West
Greetings,
       Birding is pretty lean north of Taos in winter.  Pine Grosbeak and Gray Jay are resident up at the Taos Ski Valley.  Not sure of the latest rosyfinch activity but there used to be a feeder at Kandahar Condos.  You could google them and see if they are still feeding.  One of the ABQ birders saw a Northern Shrike recently around San Antonio peak-probably an hour northwest of Taos.  Maxwell NWR can have good diversity of waterfowl if there is open water.  Just west of there is Stubblefield Lake, the best winter waterfowl spot in the area.  I saw Barrow's Goldeneye there in early December.  If you want to go north into Colorado, there is the Monte Vista NWR near Alamosa.  Pretty sure they host Short-eared Owls in the winter.  Good luck.  Bill.

WingsWest Birding Tours
Santa Fe, NM, USA
1-800-583-6928
wingswestnm@earthlink.net
www.wingswestnm.com

Re: Birding Northern NM

bird brain
Thanks all!  I'm looking forward to observing what's around this area.  Really excited about the rosy finches as I don't think I will have time to go to Sandia Crest.  I will let you know if I see anything unusual.