Birder Visiting January 26-28

I received this message from John S-- and am passing it on in the event anyone wishes to get in touch with him.

Hi Ken:

I am arriving in Albuquerque Saturday morning, January 26, and leaving to return home to Florida on Monday late afternoon. I am traveling alone, but anyone who would like to go up to the crest to see the finches on either Saturday, Sunday, or Monday is more than welcome to join me. I will be staying at the La Quinta at 2424 San Mateo Blvd, and my cell phone is 561-445-5201.

Best regards,

John S--
www.birdspix.com

Re: Birder Visiting January 26-28

On 1/25/2013 3:10 PM, john@birdspix.com wrote:
> Hello again Ken:
>      I am arriving in Albuquerque tomorrow morning and leaving Monday afternoon.  I have been checking the forecast daily, and it has deteriorated considerably for the weekend (Murphy's Law), although Sunday at least looks like there will be an opportunity. My question is, is there a phone number to call to check on the latest conditions on the mountain road - rain, snow, ice, plowing, etc? How dicey is black ice on the road if it's been raining? Thanks much.
> John S-
> www.birdspix.com

ROAD CONDITIONS(NM-536, NM-14, I-40)  or call Road Advisory Hotline at:  1-800-432-4269.

You will be driving on I-40 to NM -14 then taking CR-536 to the crest. Check the map first and hover over any warning symbols.

This site has additional links for PDA and tablet versions: http://basic.nmroads.com/

I would still call the road advisory hotline.

As for black ice, it is often encountered if the snow melts and the water on the roadway re-freezes overnight. Expect it on any pavement that looks wet even though the temperature may be below freezing. Use caution especially on curves and do not use automatic cruise control as it may shift gears suddenly and cause a skid. Look out for the oncoming drivers who may descend much too rapidly.