Banding report-- Sunday, November 22, 2009

Banding report-- Sunday, November 22, 2009

From the Rio Grande Bird Research Team:

Hi all,

We had a good day of banding today.  We newly banded 22 Rosy-Finches.  There were 8 Brown-capped, 12 Blacks and 2 Gray-crowned (one Hepburn's).

Probably more exciting were the recaptures.  We caught on male Black Rosy-Finch that we originally banded on November 27, 2005, making it is more than 6 years old since it was an adult when we originally captured it.  We had seen this bird back in February of this year.
We also caught one female Brown-capped that we originally banded on December 30, 2007.  It is now a 3 year old.

We had another 10 Rosy-Finches (2 Blacks and 8 Brown-capped) that we originally banded during the 2008/2009 banding season.

The road was mostly clear with just a few icy patches.

Nancy & Steve