Banding report: 20 captures, flocks of up to 75-80 rosy-finches

Banding report: 20 captures, flocks of up to 75-80 rosy-finches

Amber West writes (2/28)

Hi all,

After several days of having to cancel, Rosy-Finch banding went off without a hitch today.  We newly banded four Rosy-Finches, 3 interior Gray-crowned and 1 Brown-capped.  We also recaptured 16 Rosy-Finches from this winter season - 7 Gray-crowned (5 interior and 2 Hepburn's), 6 Blacks, and 3 Brown-capped.  The flock did show multiple times even when we didn't catch any birds, varying in size but with a maximum of around 75-80 Rosy-Finches, with several Hepburn's still present.  We also noticed an increase in unbanded Rosy-Finches in the flock.

The weather was mostly clear and very warm.  The road and parking lot remain clear, although melting snow is creating puddles that may ice over in shadows or overnight, so be careful walking.

Please note that we will not be banding this Wednesday (3/2).

-Amber West