Banding Reports, JAN 26 and FEB 2: Hepburn's Gray-Crowned numerous

Banding Reports, JAN 26 and FEB 2: Hepburn's Gray-Crowned numerous

Brown-capped Rosy-Finches are scarce, but the Hepburn's were unusually abundant.

Nancy Cox of the banding team provided these reports:

We newly banded 14 Blacks and 21 Gray-crowned on January 26.  Eight of the GC were interior and 13 were Hepburn's.  We also recaptured a Black from Dec 2018.

The crew was only able to capture 5 GC - interior on Feb 2.  There were probably 15 Hepburn's, 25 interiors, 30 Blacks, and only 1 Brown-capped in the area.

We got a lot of snow this week and the road was icy on Wednesday (February 6) when Steve and I went to refill the feeders.  We saw about 38 birds on that date (9 BK,10 GC-I,15 GC-H, 4 BC).