Banding Report: Sunday, January 15

Here is Nancy Cox's report on banding this past Sunday, January 15. Interestingly, of the 52 rosy-finches newly banded so far this winter, only two have been Gray-crowned (both Interior race) and there have been no sight reports of Hepburn's (Coastal or Gray-headed race) so far this season. We hope to learn whether any Hepburn's have been seen in Taos.

We were only able to catch and band 3 Brown-capped Rosy-Finches.  Many of the finches were hanging out under the deck.

The flock size is about 50 with more than half being Brown-capped (60%) with about 40% Blacks.  We only saw one Gray-crowned.

Nancy